Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I have gotten one suggestion for a heater already, but I'd love some more to look into :) I currently have this one Top Fin® Betta Aquarium Heater | fish Heaters | PetSmart
and it works, it just is kinda difficult to keep consistent, plus I just switched thermometers and it is reading a little lower than I would like (75 degrees F, the other therm read around 78 degrees F). Would you say a 25 watt or a 50 watt is better for a betta tank? We have been keeping our apartment fairly warm to keep his temp regulated so I'd like to ideally go with a 25 watt. Please link suggestions and give me tips!!! Also...mind giving me some ways to test thermometer accuracy?? I got the JW Pet magnetic thermometer today and I’m not sure if this one is accurate or if my other one was lol. Have been wondering about these heaters for a while.. https://www.amazon.com/FREESEA-Aquarium-Heater-Display-50watt/dp/B075PSPCNY/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?crid=37BK69X53KZ9F&dchild=1&keywords=25w+aquarium+heater&qid=1605842936&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=25w+,pets,242&sr=1-13-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWV0s1OEY2QkZFNDkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MzU0ODQzUjJSNzY1Q0YzWVpCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwODI2MDYzVlFURVE0UVVXOVRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And this is the one I was reccommended :)

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,575 Posts
I only recommend heaters I've used. I have a Hydor 50 watt in both my 2.5 and have used same in my 5.5 tanks. I'd suggest you get a 50 watt. Same size as 25.

Aquarium thermometers are notoriously untrustworthy. So many people think heaters aren't working when it's the thermometer.That's why I bit the bullet and bought this Cooper Atkins-DFP450W Digital Pocket Thermometer, 4-5/8 in. L, multicolor: Instant Read Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I'm sure you can find them for less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only recommend heaters I've used. I have a Hydor 50 watt in both my 2.5 and have used same in my 5.5 tanks. I'd suggest you get a 50 watt. Same size as 25.

Aquarium thermometers are notoriously untrustworthy. So many people think heaters aren't working when it's the thermometer.That's why I bit the bullet and bought this Cooper Atkins-DFP450W Digital Pocket Thermometer, 4-5/8 in. L, multicolor: Instant Read Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I'm sure you can find them for less.
Is that just one you stick in to check, not keep it in like regular aquarium thermometers? It’s on sale right now😳 Yeah seriously, the reviews on the thermometers basically everywhere are not great. I bought the JW Pet magnetic one today, it’s reading at around 75°F while the thermometer that I think came with my Top Fin 5.5gal was reading at around 78° and I don’t know which is right🙄 Great thanks! The Hydor Theo one I linked, right?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,575 Posts
Yes, that Hydor; just get a 50 watt and not a 25 watt. You always want to get the most wattage so if the ambient temperature dips more than 10 degrees lower than the temperature you want you're covered. The Hydor 50 watt is the same length as the 25 watt which makes it one of the smaller heaters.

I discovered using food thermometers via aquarium thermometer reviews. The reviewer recommended them as superior. And, yes, those are the ones that you just dip in; they're not in the tank permanently. @Mbpoppy and I use them because neither of us trusts aquarium thermometers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that Hydor; just get a 50 watt and not a 25 watt. You always want to get the most wattage so if the ambient temperature dips more than 10 degrees lower than the temperature you want you're covered. The Hydor 50 watt is the same length as the 25 watt which makes it one of the smaller heaters.

I discovered using food thermometers via aquarium thermometer reviews. The reviewer recommended them as superior. And, yes, those are the ones that you just dip in; they're not in the tank permanently. @Mbpoppy and I use them because neither of us trusts aquarium thermometers.
Okay thanks!! I just worry about it overheating, my friend had that happen with her fish because her dad didn’t turn on the AC in their house and he cooked while she was on vacation😔 That was a very sad fish funeral. You don’t worry about overheating or issues with the Hydor50W? I guess I shouldn’t pay so much attention to the rough Amazon reviews haha. Sorry for all these questions...this forum and you and everyone else have been an absolute lifesaver the past week.Thank you guys so so much.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,575 Posts
If one overheats it's a malfunction and not because of wattage. Any brand can malfunction.

I don't worry about much of anything. Learned a long time ago if I can't control it's not productive to worry about it. Before I learned that all worry ever got me was gray hairs. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If one overheats it's a malfunction and not because of wattage. Any brand can malfunction.

I don't worry about much of anything. Learned a long time ago if I can't control it's not productive to worry about it. Before I learned that all worry ever got me was gray hairs. ;)
Fair point😊 I worry wayyyy too much haha. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
The preset heaters are a little tricky and depending on ambient room temperature could possibly heat the tank too much, or too little. Best heaters I’ve used are the adjustable heaters with the dial on top. It’s one less thing for me to worry about knowing that temp is steady no matter if my significant other decides to mess with the house temperature haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The preset heaters are a little tricky and depending on ambient room temperature could possibly heat the tank too much, or too little. Best heaters I’ve used are the adjustable heaters with the dial on top. It’s one less thing for me to worry about knowing that temp is steady no matter if my significant other decides to mess with the house temperature haha.
Hahaha very true. My SO and I are very consistent with the temp, basically just for our little fishy😂 Do you have a favorite adjustable heater?

·
Registered
357 Posts
One thing that I have found of great use from reefing is the amount of control that is available. I run one of these (not actually this model I have a duel sensor for my pico reef and betta tanks)

Inkbird

Its a temperature controller that turns off the heater once the tank reaches the set threshold (set mine to turn off at 77f to keep tank at 78f) it also has an audible alarm function if the tank gets too hot and/or too cold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing that I have found of great use from reefing is the amount of control that is available. I run one of these (not actually this model I have a duel sensor for my pico reef and betta tanks)

Inkbird

Its a temperature controller that turns off the heater once the tank reaches the set threshold (set mine to turn off at 77f to keep tank at 78f) it also has an audible alarm function if the tank gets too hot and/or too cold.
Oh how cool! Wait so is that a heater or a thermometer, or what is that?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I don’t have a favorite brand, I find cheap ones on Amazon so I can buy more. I like having back up heaters just in case one stops working (hasn’t happened yet thank goodness) or if I need to separate anyone I can set up another tank in a moment. Something I didn’t think about when ordering though, the cord length. The last group of heaters I bought have VERY short cords 🤦🏻‍♀️ doable with a power strip but I’ll be sure to look at that before I buy some random brand of heater from who knows where Amazon haha.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh how cool! Wait so is that a heater or a thermometer, or what is that?
It is a digital thermometer with a separate temperature probe. The heater plugs into the controller so is also useful for those heaters with the pesky short lead

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a digital thermometer with a separate temperature probe. The heater plugs into the controller so is also useful for those heaters with the pesky short lead
Oh that’s awesome:)does it just plug into any heater? How does that work?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohhhhh I get it lol. You plug whatever heater you have into the controller’s outlet hahaha😂 What heater do you use?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ohhhhh I get it lol. You plug whatever heater you have into the controller’s outlet hahaha😂 What heater do you use?
Just a cheap 50w glass submersible

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone! I have gotten one suggestion for a heater already, but I'd love some more to look into :) I currently have this one Top Fin® Betta Aquarium Heater | fish Heaters | PetSmart
and it works, it just is kinda difficult to keep consistent, plus I just switched thermometers and it is reading a little lower than I would like (75 degrees F, the other therm read around 78 degrees F). Would you say a 25 watt or a 50 watt is better for a betta tank? We have been keeping our apartment fairly warm to keep his temp regulated so I'd like to ideally go with a 25 watt. Please link suggestions and give me tips!!! Also...mind giving me some ways to test thermometer accuracy?? I got the JW Pet magnetic thermometer today and I’m not sure if this one is accurate or if my other one was lol. Have been wondering about these heaters for a while.. https://www.amazon.com/FREESEA-Aquarium-Heater-Display-50watt/dp/B075PSPCNY/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?crid=37BK69X53KZ9F&dchild=1&keywords=25w+aquarium+heater&qid=1605842936&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=25w+,pets,242&sr=1-13-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWV0s1OEY2QkZFNDkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MzU0ODQzUjJSNzY1Q0YzWVpCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwODI2MDYzVlFURVE0UVVXOVRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And this is the one I was reccommended :)
My suggestion would be a Cobalt NeoTherm 50 watt heater. I have been using them for years now, they are incredibly accurate and setting the desired temperature is as simple as pushing a button on the top of the heater until you see your desired temperature on the round lighted temperature dial - it’s foolproof and the best heater I’ve ever used in the 50 years I’ve kept aquariums, now exclusively keeping beloved Betta’s.
They are more expensive than other heaters but well worth the money not to mention that their customer service is unparalleled and led by a very fine, knowledgeable gentleman named Kyle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts