Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have two 2.5gallon tanks and have been running 17watt heater(expensive submersible, but I can't remember the name) because the lesser ones do not keep the temp up. The 17 w keep it at about 74maybe a tad warmer if light is on or room is warmer but in winter that is pretty normal I live in a basement suite and especially in winter it can get quite chilly. With out a heater water is about 60f maybe. So then I tried another brand , tetra I think, 25w, it got it to 76 so I went and got the 50 watt and it kept it at the same 76. These are all preset ones. So I have been looking at the (hydor theo adjustable) ones as they are recommended here but I am not sure what wattage to go with.i have read a lot of reviews and I am still not sure. I have to order online so I want to make sure I get the right ones as I can't return them. I don't want to cook my fish but I would like to keep them at closer to 78 even when it is cold in the room, but not over in warmer months or when light is on. So my question is to those who have experience with these heaters, help. What wattage should I get? 25 pr 50? Help

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the 25 watt Hydor Theo in my 2.5 gallon minibow. It worked fine. If anything, the tank got a bit warmer than the heater setting after the hood lights had been on for a few hours, and I had to dial it back a click. Once you learn how the heater compares to your thermometer - they can be a little off - you set it where you want and leave it alone (more or less). 25 watts is enough to heat a 2.5 gallon tank, but 50 watts shouldn't overheat your tank, since it will also switch off when the desired temp is reached. The biggest question with 50 watts is will the heater fit comfortably in your tank. The 25 watt Hydor could not get my new 10 gallon tank up to 80, so I got a 50 watt Eheim Jager when I upgraded. It keeps the temp in my 10 gallon rock steady. For your purpose, I think the 25 watt Hydor will do fine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you mean it got hotter when light was on does that mean it went over what you had it set for? Do you have to turn it down every time the light is on or just put it a little lower for normal to account for light when it is on? If I set it for 78 then if it went up to 80 with light on he would still be cozy right? And it the light kept it warmer in summer months the heater just wouldn't come on as much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, I did find that it got warmer than the setting after the light had been on. Most days I could leave it set to 78 and let it rise a bit. I wasn't thrilled with that, because I thought the thermostat would keep the temp more stable. And this was after switching the incandescent bulb for a fluorescent bulb. It didn't seem to upset my fish, although I know they do better without fluctuations. We had a cold winter (for us, LOL) and it kept him comfortable. When the weather suddenly warmed up, I needed to adjust the heater a little to keep it from rising. It may be just that the small volume of water is more susceptible to temperature variations than a larger volume. The Hydor was still much better than the little preset heater I first used.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx, that helps a lot but I would love to hear from someone who get cold winters of - 30 +or rooms that are 15-16celsius that have used in a small tank, it would be very helpful. Thanks for all your advice though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Now that's a REAL winter, eh? Here, they count the number of days the temp drops below freezing. In summer, they count the days above 100*F.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes well, anything over 30 c here, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit, and people are complaining and a couple degrees over that and they are dropping like flies from heatstroke. Lol we just don't get enough of it to get used to so it hits us hard when it does come. Funny what you get use to hey?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts