Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Just got my first betta last month. I am a little frustrated with the help and information I have received from my local pet store! So much wrong information which has cost me lots of wasted money. They convinced me that bettas are happiest in 1 gallon or smaller tanks! I originally purchased a 1 gallon tank, but after research have upgraded to a 2.5 gallon tank. I could go on forever about other wrong info they gave me! Anyway, I am now all set with proper low low speed filter, test kits, water conditioner, betta log, silk plants, etc.... My problem is with stabilizing the temperature in the tank. I bought 2 different heaters (Zoo Med Mini heater 7.5w and Aqueon Mini heater 10w) and both seem to be running too hot (up to 86-87°). If I leave the tank at room temperature it fluctuates a bit, although not to badly as I live in South Florida. However the temp drops as low as 72°, and I am worried about the winters. Since I am done asking my pet store for advise, I was hoping someone can recommend a good stable (hopefully adjustable or automatic) heater for a 2.5 gallon tank. I think it would need to be 10 watts or under, but I could be wrong. Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the National Geographic Heater, the smaller version. I have one in both of my 2.5gal tanks and they keep my boys' water around 78/80 degrees.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I also suggest the hydor theo heater.

you do not want to get automatic/preset heater. Both of the ones you posted are preset. Preset heaters are known to overheat the tank and kill your fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.