Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I have a (hopefully) quick question: I live in an area where average temperatures are around 70 degrees, and drop to mid-60s overnight. I live in one room in a house unit, so unfortunately the house's thermostat is beyond my control :roll:.

My betta's (his name is Gaston ^_^) tank usually keeps around 71 without any artificial heating, which I know is too cold, so I bought a cobalt mini-term 5w heater (he lives in a 1 gallon). It works really well, but heats his tank to 82-83 degrees if I keep it plugged in (it's an "always on" unit... I couldn't find any really small ones that had thermostats). I've read that bettas can handle up to about 84... but is that hard on them/bad for their health? :-? I work and go to school, so I unfortunately if I unplug the heater all the time it means the temperature often drops back down to 72-73 degrees over the course of several hours. What do I do?!???

I love Gaston and want him to live a full and happy life :]. Any advice is greatly appreciate in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's an ok temperature, but you'll have to change his water very regularly for that size aquarium, prob every other day!

·
Registered
20 Posts
But sorry, to answer your question: Bettas don't like big variances in temperature so always leave the heater plugged in.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Welcome. A bigger tank will be safer. If you don't have much room they sell these at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-69372MN-2-Gallon-Glass-Heritage-Jar/16486707
I use them for some of my fish the heater cord lifts the lid a bit to let air in.

or for 5 dollars more Petsmart has 2 gallon aquarium that is rectangular. The Petsmart one delivers better optics. If you have the room a 5 gallon is definitely best.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have that little Hydor heater in a 4 gallon, and it works great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mike hey I just wanted to say I received some harmful messages on my inbox and they were not nice in what they said. I lashed out publicly and I should have just emailed them back or notified an administrator I apoligyse for the mis understanding-Nyrolovesbettafish

·
Registered
696 Posts
I use a timer on my little heater. They have ones that will go on and off every 30 minutes. If you know the times when the temp spikes, just have it set to go off for 30 minutes to an hour, then have it come back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts