Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a few topics in here, so please bear with me.

First off, I'm aware that Bettas need a warm temperature to thrive, and a heater is a good way to accomplish that. But is it needed when you live in a hotter climate? My house is usually air-conditioned/heated to about 78, and the air outside is easily in the 80s-90s. Even in the winter, the house should be about the same. In these conditions, would I still need a heater?

Also, I went to sort of browse the selection at a local PetSmart today (though I will not buy one until my tank is cycled), and it was very difficult to tell which fish were healthy. They were all in cups, as is usual, and some did look more alert than others. I figure that's a good sign, but is there anything else I should look out for? I know there's something called 'fin rot', but I don't really know what it looks like or what it is (I've looked up pictures but I can't see the difference), and it's very hard to make out the Bettas' fins in those cups, as the images are kind of distorted.

And this isn't technically fish care, but I don't want to spam everyone with threads. I have several plastic plants in my aquarium that I don't want to get rid of. Are all plastic plants harmful to Bettas, or is it only certain kinds? Is there a way to soften my plastic plants or keep them from catching on the Betta's tail? Thank you!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I do recommend getting a heater just in case! Also fin rot is when the tail looks "butchered" and not natural (This may be a bit harder to spot on crowntails, but very easy on Veiltails, Double tails, etc.) Sick betta fish may have signs that they are sick i suggest you follow up on reading betta fish disease symptoms and check for any of those, but being an alert betta is good! :D

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I once kept a betta while living in a tropical country, he was kept someplace where the temperature hardly varied, never had a heater and he lived fine. That being said, if you live someplace temperate, I'd still have one around just incase. Also, the larger the tank, the less variance it will have with your air temperature, my 10g only changes 4 degrees with a 10 degree change in my house temperature over the course of a day. So I'd monitor the tank and if you can maintain 78 - 80 degrees constantly, you wouldn't need one, but I'd have one incase of emergencies.

You want to look for a fish that's active or even if he's sitting at the bottom of his cup, he responds to external stimuli. If you get a bad feeling, it's probably best to pass them up. Fin rot can sometimes be a little difficult to tell, it's usually blackened or red tips and looks like disintegrating fins. Even if they have mild fin rot, usually some clean water will fix them up.

Here's a little tip to make it easier for you. Ask the pet store when they get their shipment of bettas and show up on that day, you'll find a much healthier selection of fish to choose from.

Not all plastic plants are bad, but a large portion of them are, it's the way they are molded, nothing you can do about it. You can take a pair of pantyhose and run it over the decoration, if it snags at all, it will snag his fins as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I live in the Southern US where it's currently 90+. My house stays around 78. The tanks however, without a heater, hold at around 72-73. That is cold for a tropical fish! An in the winter, it's always cooler. (yes I have heaters in my tanks). It's funny to me that I have to have a heater in 90+ weather, but I don't want to get hot enough that my fish are comfortable in their tanks. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, everyone, I'll get a heater! Do any of you have one that you'd recommend? I heard that I'd need 50 watts...?

@SiameseFightingArt

Alright, I think I'm getting the idea...and I'll definitely look it up in the forums. Thanks!

@MikeG14

Ah, alright. I wasn't aware of that. For some reason, I thought it'd be hotter. Thanks!

@Veloran

I'm not sure if I'd call where I live temperate, but there's a difference between winter and summer, so I'll be getting one now. ^^ Good to hear that the temperature shouldn't fluctuate overly much should something happen to it, though. Can you recommend any good heaters?

By external stimuli do you mean something like following your finger? And I'll have to remember to do that...As for the plastic plants, I'll check them out. Would you say that most plastic plants snag on Bettas' tails? And what would indicate a plant that wouldn't snag? Sorry for the extra questions, and thank you very much!

@aselvarial

That's about the temperature where I am now, and wow is that a big difference in the tank. It is a kind of funny idea, isn't it? Funny or no, looks like I'll be getting one! Now just to figure out which one to buy...any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.