Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. I have a 5 gallon set up for my Betta, he will arrive tomorrow. I have read up on tank heaters and I'm scared to death to get one based on the reviews and the horror stories. I know i need one, what is the best one to get that won't over heat or shock him? I know some have glitches but as Betta lovers and experience which one is a good one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
For a 5 .5 gallon tank you would need a 50 watt adjustable and submersible heater. In my 5.5 tanks I use the 50 watt Aqueon adjustable, submersible Heater. They are only 9 inches long and are easy to adjust. ( I'm not talking the aqueon pro series, just the submersible) You may have to set them at the 80 degree mark to keep the temp at 78 but most heaters are like that. You can get them at Petsmart for $17.99 (that's the online price right now. You would take it to the register and ask them to price compare or check the online price.) I know in the stores they list them for $31.99. and if you don't ask they will charge you store price.

·
Registered
206 Posts
@Old Dog 59 are you sure about the wattage? Wouldn't a 25 watt do the job? I was about to buy a 50 watt for a 10 gallon is that not enough?

OP I use Cobalt heaters. They're a bit pricey but for me peace of mind is important. They're adjustable and submersible - nice and flat/sleek/modern looking. I have one in a two gallon drum bowl (hospital tank) and it totally fits.

I spent a lot of time researching heaters and I've never regretted springing for the Cobalt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phish Head
I have researched so much I am scared to death of them all lol but i know i need one

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm currently using a Hydor Theo 50 watt adjustable heater in my 5 gallon tank and haven't had any issues with it! I ordered it off amazon about a month back. I think one of the main things is to read the instructions before you use it. You shouldn't plug it in unless it's submerged and its also good to see the diagram they have explaining the cord positioning to prevent electrical mishaps since it's in water. I put a piece of washi tape around the base of the cord to label it, like a little tag, that way I know which plug goes to what (filter, heater, light). If you're doing water changes, unplug the heater to prevent any issues.

Some of the heaters, people complain about the temperature being off. I have a thermometer in my tank and learned that some heaters tend to be a couple degrees off from what the dial setting is, so you just have to try it out and see. Set it to 76 and a day later, check the temperature reading. If it's at 76, then you're good! If it's above or below that, then make a note that your heater is however many degrees off and adjust accordingly. I've got mine set at around 78 degrees, and my tank stays around 80.

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
@Old Dog 59 are you sure about the wattage? Wouldn't a 25 watt do the job? I was about to buy a 50 watt for a 10 gallon is that not enough?

OP I use Cobalt heaters. They're a bit pricey but for me peace of mind is important. They're adjustable and submersible - nice and flat/sleek/modern looking. I have one in a two gallon drum bowl (hospital tank) and it totally fits.

I spent a lot of time researching heaters and I've never regretted springing for the Cobalt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Wattage really depends on a room's ambient temperature range. I had 50 watt heaters in my 5.5 gallon tanks and 75-100 in my 10. Here's an article that explains it better than I ever could.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-heater-size-guide-1381033

To the OP: I used Hydor heaters in my 5.5 tanks. The Hydor 25 and 50 watt are only 7" long and adjustable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts