Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am a college student living in a very cold house. I am concerned that my betta is going to freeze to death, since the temperature in here is 58F. I can't turn the heat on, so I was hoping that there was a way to heat my fish's bowl. Would a heat lamp (a night bulb) be okay to leave on 24 hrs?

I was hoping to go out today to buy something for him so he doesn't have to go through another cold night.

Thank you!!
Brianna

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The best thing to do, would be to buy a 2g tank and a mini heater. :) More space for the betta too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great idea! Thank you so much. I'll probably do that. so for a 2-2.5 gallon what kind/size heater could I get?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most heaters have a label on them that say what size tank they will go in using gallons. Also some heaters don't have adjustable temperatures so if you get one of those look on the box to see what temp it tries to keep the water.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I'd go for a Hydor Mini heater. You can get them at most pet stores. :)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
The thing I found out about Hydor Mini heaters is that they only raise the room temperature by a few degrees...so in my room, which is about 68-70, it only went up to 73 degress. That's still too cold for a betta.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You should be able to use a 25 watt visi-therm stealth heater (the only kind I would recommend for a small tank because they are super accurate) in the 2.5 gallon or larger. However, I would not recommend using a similar size but cheaper brand in a tank that small for fear of cooking the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts