Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for reference, I have a 40BR split 5 ways.

I think I'm doing something wrong with my set up in terms of heating and filtration. I have a 200W heater on the far left and a thermometer on the far right.
Should I move the heater to the center or is it fine where it is?

I also have one filter running on the right side.
Should I set up a sponge filter system instead?
Do I need to have a sponge in each section or just two?
Can seachem Matrix be used with sponge filters?

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
I've had divided tanks for a while and have found a filter and heater in each section gives the best habitat.

With a 5 x tank, I would do the sponge filter system. You could try a heater in each of the compartments next to the end. If that doesn't work you could then go to one in each.

From an Internet source:
HeaterGuide.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But would I need multiple heaters if the temperature throughout the entire aquarium is stable 80 degrees F?

And is the Seapora Breeding Sponge Filter - 30 large enough for each section? I don't have a ton of room because there are a lot of plants but I still want something to do the best job.

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
If the temperature of all sections stays 80 with the 200 watt I'd leave well enough alone.

Not familiar with the brand you named. But I did find size of a sponge filter for a 10 gallons. It might not be big enough for a taller tank, though.
SpongeFilter.jpg

I understand it's the pump that's more important. They make pumps with 1-8 ports. I know you have five sections. Are you going to keep the filter you've been using? If so and if there's enough GPH you could get a two-port pump and use two filters per port. That's what I did for two sponge filters in my large vases.

Veloran is more informed than I am. Hope he sees and can help you get exactly what you need.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, great!
Does the type of sponge matter? Someone in the reviews for the Seapora one I mentioned said that the sponge used for that filter is closed cell which apparently means that air can't get into it? But everyone else seemed to not have a problem with it. Also, the air pump I have is the TopFin AIR-4000 marketed as being used for 80 gallon aquariums (Top Fin® Aquarium Air Pump | fish Air & Water Pumps | PetSmart). I didn't buy it intentionally, the reviews are horrible. I got it from someone that was downsizing their stock. He said one side didn't work but it's just weak.

Anyway, Big Al's has a 5 outlet gang valv (You are being redirected...) I was thinking of buying to attach to my pump because it has the capacity for two air line tubes. I wasn't planning on keeping the Penguin Bio-Filter 330 on my tank. It's quite large, really meant for 70 gallons. Because of the dividers in-between the fish, I can't put it in the center. Also because the tank has a piece down the middle of the frame for extra support. The flow is also way to strong for a betta fish which is why I wanted to switch as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
Hi there.
You can use a hydro sponge filter which looks similar to the one shown by @RussellTheShihTzu in the previous post. The Hydro Sponge II will work for 10 gallon - 30 gallon tanks and it's a slimmer but taller filter and is modular. They also say that you can put charcoal in the strainer portion of the filter but I never tried it, I just used an airstone with mine.
A corner filter will give you room inside the canister to add Seachem Matrix (or charcoal) and filter floss (or sponge material). Can be useful in some situations, but for a betta tank, all you really need is mechanical filtration.

I generally use whisper air pumps, anything above the whisper 40 (made for 40 - 60 gallons) will have two outlet valves. Or you can size up with the whisper 60, I'm not used to splitting air on the higher volume pumps. The pumps are usually good, just beware of the silly plastic nozzles. While the pump mechanism is good, if you snap off the nozzle, it's as good as dead.

I have a Penn Plax gang valve running on one of my tanks right now, don't have any problems with it. Any gang valve should work, they're pretty simple devices. With the two outputs from the air pump, you may want to invest in two smaller gang valves for the pump if you're planning on more that two filters or just to bleed air, I find with the bigger gang valves, fine control isn't as easy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find the Hydro Sponge II in Canada. Could I use the Aquatic Internal Sponge Filter instead? I'd put one in each section.

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gang valve came and I've set up 3/5 sponge filters. Should I get the other two now or wait until I restock the tank in a few months? I only have 2 bettas in it right now.

Also, how do I know if my air pump is strong enough? One side is weaker than the other (I guess it's broken?). I meant to open it up and try to repair it but I forgot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts