Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really an ice box but my room is on the corner of the house so its really cold all the time in the winter, which has now caused my tank's temp to drop down to between 72-74 depending on the time of day.

I've considered buying a better heater that I can adjust, but would like to know if there are other ways to warm up the water enough that I can do so for the winter months at least.

I've already put a towell on top of his tank to prevent warm air from escaping through the holes, but it hasn't warmed it up at all.

Any ideas? Or would it just be easier to shell out the $20 to get the new heater?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd shell it the $20 to get a adjustable heater. Don't know what size your tank is but I just bought the Hydor theo 25 watt heater for less than $20 and that included shipping. If you have a larger tank the 50 watt isn't much more.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
okay as someone with a icebox(if I don't have heaters on it can hit 40-50 degrees inside) for a house, there are a couple things I've done myself at the advice of some folks on here and some of my tanks don't have high powered fancy heaters.
First. Oil radiant heaters are amazing at warming areas. I have a 800 sq ft house and that thing on high keeps my house at least 30 degrees above outside. And my insulation is beyond poor. If you can't keep your room a higher temperature, then the next piece will hep
Second. Those afghan blankets you see with the holes in them? They make great tank insulators. I wrapped a few around the back of my coldest tanks (they hit below 70 during the cold snap I just had) and those tanks are staying at 82 consistently.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd shell it the $20 to get a adjustable heater. Don't know what size your tank is but I just bought the Hydor theo 25 watt heater for less than $20 and that included shipping. If you have a larger tank the 50 watt isn't much more.
My tank is aboout a 5.5 gallon and the one I've seen at petco is a 50 watt which on the back says its good for a 5 gallon but that seems a bit high to me lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those afghan blankets you see with the holes in them? They make great tank insulators. I wrapped a few around the back of my coldest tanks (they hit below 70 during the cold snap I just had) and those tanks are staying at 82 consistently.
I tried that with a towel but Sami is a turd and began to flare at all of the covered areas :| Maybe a pretty blanket would satisfy his god complex...

·
Registered
951 Posts
Pick up some styro sheet insulation for the top, heat rises. 10w per gallon should easily give you a 20F increase over ambient, as long as it's a decent heater.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ive been dealing with a tank in a cold room and heater problems lately. What ive learned is dont buy tetra or store brands. They are not powerful enough and store brands usually break. Also you may want to get an adjustble heater with wattage rated for a ten gallon, 50 watts should be fine. The aqueon pro heaters are what i found to work well. I would say though that those are a little big and pricey and the hydor theos are much smaller and less pricey. Goodluck keeping your fish warm.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I second the hydor theo 25 watt. When I lived in a REALLY cold place, I ran a 50watt in my 3 gallon and it kept the water at a toasty 80-82. A 25 watt will do find for a smaller tank. I kept the 25 watt in my 10 gallon until recently when it got colder here, then I pulled my 50 watt back out of the basket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts