Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
wow, I have not been on here for a long time.
I had been busy in real life, moved countries again (now working in Germany) and work just keeps me busy (I am now working at a lab doing the COVID tests, of all things, needless to say we do not run out of work...).

Anyways, my last boy, Jay, was my fin buddy for a bit more than 4 years.
Sadly, he passed away this week.
The empty tank was just too sad. :(

Therefore, the day before yesterday, I made a trip to my hometown (which is now in a COVID Red Zone :( ) to get a new fighter friend. :D
Hello everybody, meet "Lord Rassilon". :D

I decided on a "simple" veiltail this time, in a wonderful bright red with some light blue highlights. :D

He is very active, inquisitive, and still soooo tiny, only half as big as Jay was in the end!

And he is a busy builder, too, shortly after he arrived at my place, he already set up some bubble nests which are now taking over the world. :p

(I have added some Indian almond leaf to help him acclimatize, this is why the water is darker colour)

He lives in a 5 gallon (20 litre) cube with a heater and filter and lots of life plants.
I especially like the hornwort, because my fish use them as hammocks at night when they rest. :D

I really hope he will bring joy to the darker autumn days ahead- but he certainly has already brightened up my week! :D

I also hope he will stay with me as long as my previous fish did, however I am aware that 4 years was well above average...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello!
Your tanks looks great and i have a plan to make a planted tank like that.
Also, your fin buddy is a beautiful little one. I rarely see a veiltail so he really catches my eyes.
I hope he would do well.

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello!
Your tanks looks great and i have a plan to make a planted tank like that.
Also, your fin buddy is a beautiful little one. I rarely see a veiltail so he really catches my eyes.
I hope he would do well.

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk
A planted tank is not too difficult, I found, especially because I only use "easy" plants. Sadly I am not known for my green thumb and therefore I need to use plants that are virtually "un-deadable". :p

It is weird, isn't it?
Back when I was a teenager and had my first tank, the only Bettas I saw in the shops were veiltails.
Now they have pretty much gone.
Why is that? I do not think they are any less pretty!
I guess I am lucky that there is a very old local fish store in my home town (at has been around for 40 years now!)- the owners are now around 70 and they still have old school home breeders at hand, so they have a nice selection of bettas at hand, even if these are a bit "old school".
I picked this boy for his bright colour and also because he was quite perky- no matter how pretty, I think it is also important to look for a healthy attitude! :p

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,179 Posts
I think VT are underappreciated. When I started they were all that were available and they lived a long time compared to the fancier varieties of today. Raymond I, II, III and IV all lived at least six or seven years...and that was normal. Now if I have a non-VT for more than two years I feel lucky....for us both.

He is a lovely boy. Glad you came back to share with us.

·
Registered
"Buddy"
125 Posts
A planted tank is not too difficult, I found, especially because I only use "easy" plants. Sadly I am not known for my green thumb and therefore I need to use plants that are virtually "un-deadable".
Very relateable, I think I've just managed to over water my succulents too 😓. I've gone with crypts, anubias, and anacharis for my tank.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get the feeling now that he has this new huge tank all for himself, it has gotten to his head.
:p
He is totally going over board with his building....
:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts