Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had bettas as a kid, but I always kept them in a single gallon bowl. After having a betta last year that developed fit rot, I set up a 5 gallon tank for him, but then the tablets I used to treat the fit rot killed him!

But not to be sad, I mourned him and soon purchased a new betta. My current betta is a male crowntail named Sid Ficious, named after Sid Vicious because this little guy is a tough little punk.

I've had him about 4 months, and although he seems very happy in his tank, I've struggled to control the amount of algae growth. I have a filter which I run during the day (I don't like running it all the time because it's a little too turbulent for a sleeping betta). I do 50% water changes at least every other week using a gravel vacuum and I clean the sides of the tank with an algae magnet.

I still get obsessive amounts of algae growing on the silk plants that I can't eliminate without taking them out and scrubbing them clean with a toothbrush. I've attached a number of photos, the picture with the yellow submarine is most recent, take note of the thick algae on the leaves of the silk plant Sid is hiding in.

Any tips for controlling algae? I know ammonia is not the problem because I've tested the water and it is always around zero. The tank is by a west-facing window and I wish there was some way of decreasing algae growth without moving the tank away from the sun.

p.s. look at him defending his bubble nest in a couple of the photos, I'm a proud fish mom

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you don't want to move the tank then there are some other options. You can paint the tank (only glass not acrylic), and maybe get an algae eater like a snail. How long has the tank been set up? I admit that I'm not experienced with algae but it might go away on it's own depending on your answer to the previous question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the tank set up since mid December. Originally had a different fish that died (tried to treat him for fin rot and he ate the tablets and it killed him, i now only use liquid treatments if i suspect bacterial infection). I had had him in there a few weeks before he died and removed him quickly after he died and ran the filter for awhile before I got Sid. So the nitrogen cycle was properly established when I introduced Sid. I also moniter the ammonia in the tank periodically and it's always zero. Also I adjust the ph of my tapwater because it's hard so i add a ph down solution and occasionally add some reverse osmosis water. I've considered a snail, but it's only 5 gallons, so I'm concerned about the tank being too small to add a snail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't paint the sides because it's acrylic. I think my best bet is putting up curtains on the window so the sunlight doesnt hit his tank directly

·
Registered
223 Posts
It appears to be the diatom algae all new tanks get. It's not harmful to the fish, just super ugly. It clean off easily but comes back just as fast. The diatom feed of the silica in your tank and it will eventually go away on it's own if you aren't overfeeding the tank. It just can take up to 6 months. Some times when you add new things to the tank diatoms may come back as they eat the new silica but hopefully once the tank has matured it should clear up the problem for you. Another good thing you can do is limit the time the lights are on in the tank. 8 hours only would be ideal, which should help the problem a lot. Or you can just put a barrier like a book or something between the tank and sun should also help.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What about blocking the side of the tank that faces the window with something like cardboard or a towel? I mean you could take it off every so often to let him have some sun but its probably because its getting to much that its constantly covered in algae. I'm not very familiar with algae issues I do get the occasional patches of brown and sometimes green algae in my tanks but its not as often. Some sort of algae eater would help. It should be fine if you add a snail. I have 2 nerite snails and when I have slight algae issues I would occasionally switch them from my bigger tank to my 5 gallons. They don't do well with the tall plants but they do very good on the tank walls and gravel. I think Nerites are a good size for a 5 gallon. My brothers girlfriend has a mystery snail in her 5 gallon and its like the size of both my nerites put together who I've had for over a year and a half. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
615 Posts
One of my tanks (10 gallon) had a massive outbreak with algae and it was horrible to control. My 10 gallon is also directly in front of the window. I recommend using this.

https://www.chewy.com/tetra-no-more-algae-controls-algae/dp/125879?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Tetra&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFPmFni12lYu95ZzsiQF4aEFJCiYqa0khB5liInq40yBoC9PTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

From what I understand, your last betta ate the medicine tablets? You don't really need to worry about that with this, you could remove your betta before putting the tablet in (like I do) just scrub all of the algae out of the tank, then break the tablet in half (since you have a 5 gallon and 1 tablet is for 10) drop it into the water, wait until it is fully dissolved, and the put your betta back in. It's a really good product, in my opinion, been using it for a couple months now! :)

Also, you can pick this stuff up at Petco! :)

Reactions: SahelSandWing

·
Registered
17 Posts
An algae magnet cleaner is enough for my tank, I also do water changes weekly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts