Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Darlene. I go by the name of BettaFan. Just recently joined the Community because I love reaching out and learning all I can about Bettas. I have two bettas, Scout and Skippy. Scout lives in a 10 gallon portrait style aquarium and Skippy lives in a traditional landscape style 10 gallon tank. I've had them for 21 months now, but Skippy was a teeny tiny baby when I got him so I started him out in a 3 gallon tank until he became adult-sized. Scout was the typical age you get at the pet store. Both tanks are planted and I've had no problems so far. I used to call myself a betta serial killer because I couldn't keep one alive longer than 7 months. Although back in the day when we ignorantly kept bettas is plant vases, they lived for years. That is why I couldn't understand, so I reached out to the California Betta Club and I was fortunate to have the President of the LA Chapter help me through the problem. She assured me it was the water and not anything I was doing wrong. (I always did weekly water changes and treated the water with Prime). California has awful water -- high ammonia and chloramines. She walked me through the process and had me send her the results from testing my tap water -- GH, KH, ammonia, etc.). Her conclusion was my bad tap water (in spite of my treating the tap water with Prime before adding to aquarium---Prime only lasts 24 hours). I switched to using a mixture of 50% Prime treated water and 50% RO water, and everything has been fine ever since.

So that's my story. I'm hoping that I can learn even more good information about bettas through this community forum!:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'm positive that you will enjoy the forum and there is so much that everyone can learn and teach. There are some very experience keepers here on the forum and I'm sure you will run in to them in time. Again welcome again and enjoy your self.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts