Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My male Betta and I live in sunny Florida. :cool: I acquired him from Petco this past weekend. Two different employees were in disagreement of its type, and were tossing around three different names but both eventually agreed on "Elephant Ear". He's a beautiful, turquoise-blue with a splash of red on his head. I bought a 0.75 gallon cube for him, as I was under the impression this was customary for bettas. After a day or two of feeding him and watching him, I began getting attached. I did some homework and, like most first-time fish owners, found he was in poor living conditions. I went to PetSmart yesterday and bought him a 5.5 gallon, some plants and a balinese lantern/hut. Even though I made him a DIY betta hammock, he LOVES his little hut. I tried the 10g filter that came with the 5.5 gallon, but he was literally getting tossed around. I took that out and put in a sponge filter and he seems to be very happy now in his 78°F (natural) paradise. He gets fed 2 OmegaOne pellets morning/night Tue-Fri, and I plan to feed him Daphnia on Saturdays, a fast on Sundays and bloodworms on Mondays.

Here's a few pictures of him:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same, Jen. The guys at Petco were both looking at him like he was some alien species, so it's no wonder if they got it wrong, lol. They charged me for a Halfmoon Male ($14.99), even though they called it an Elephant Ear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I thought the same, Jen. The guys at Petco were both looking at him like he was some alien species, so it's no wonder if they got it wrong, lol. They charged me for a Halfmoon Male ($14.99), even though they called it an Elephant Ear.
How funny! At any rate, he is GORGEOUS. He's very lucky to have a great owner :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
His pectoral fins are larger than the norm...so he is an elephant ear or at the least has elephant ear in his line. I can't tell what type of tail he is without a pic of him flaring. Try and get a pic of him flaring and post it, Id love to see it..he is a beautiful color. :-D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pretty boy! I'd say he's a Metallic Turquoise Delta tail with Elephant ears. :-D Have you thought of a name yet?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I love him, no matter what type he is. :-D He's a good boy.

As for names, I still haven't decided. I was thinking Nami, Tesla or some form of "turquoise" in a foreign language. I'm so bad at names. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts