Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I didn't want to properly introduce myself until I became and official betta keeper! My name is Tiffany, and I'm currently a college student in Boston studying Graphic Design and Web Development. However, I grew up in Western Mass.

I enjoy drawing, writing, coding websites, and reading tarot cards!

I found this forum after my brother adopted his class pet fish last year. We named him Ishmael, and he had a bad case of fin rot. Researching the forums here helped me get a proper heater and larger bowl. Nowadays, his fins are no longer bloody and are starting to grow back! :D

However caring for his fish got me hooked on fish in general, and after having a horrific accident with goldfish. (my school was giving out free goldfish in tiny half gallon tanks so they died since I didn't know any better.) I thought I wasn't capable of caring for fish and I wanted to redeem myself.

So I read these forums extensively saved up my money, and now I'm the proud owner of Lancelot! A gorgeous dark blue veil teil with purple and red streaked fins. I'd take a photo but he keeps turning out pitch black.

So far he's doing wonderfully, he's eating like a pig, and he has the habit of patrolling around his plant and burrowing up inside it to rest. He also likes to flare up at the heater when it lights up.

Sorry for writing a short novel, if you read this far you deserve a cookie!

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Hi Tiffany and welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm glad you didn't give up on fish. I started with one blue VT male named Baccus (god of wine) and I now have 6 boys in 2.5 or 5 gallon tanks and a 75 gallon community tank.

I grew up in MA but me and the bf built a house here in southern NH in May of 2010. I still work in Boston tho.which makes for a lovely commute :frustrated:

It's nice to have you on board.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Thank you so much! Man that does sound like a rough commute! D: Do you drive in or take the train?
I drive 40 mins to the commuter rail, hop on that for an hour and 10 mins. then hop on the orange line to work.

All in all a little over two hours each way. But I get to work from home on Monday and Friday (which is why I'm able to be here ha ha). That helps a lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You'll learn new things as you go along - one of the greatest aspects of betta keeping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you sound just like me hahaha. I'm a Cape Cod resident going to school in Newton and majoring in Graphic Design with a focus on web design LOL. I love to code!
Oh wow that's so weird! I was perusing your portfolio site and I must say, SUPER NICE! It's very clean, and professional looking! I'm currently still working on mine, but it's on hiatus since I'm so behind on programming homework. (I'm learning a ton of back end stuff. )

Question, do you buy your own hosting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive 40 mins to the commuter rail, hop on that for an hour and 10 mins. then hop on the orange line to work.

All in all a little over two hours each way. But I get to work from home on Monday and Friday (which is why I'm able to be here ha ha). That helps a lot.
Ouch that sounds rough! O_<

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Ouch that sounds rough! O_<
I've gotten used to it. Thank god for digital readers and as of today, a new iphone :)

I probably won't want to get off of the train because I'm hooked on Angry Birds!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome, good thing that you kept your love for fish!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh wow that's so weird! I was perusing your portfolio site and I must say, SUPER NICE! It's very clean, and professional looking! I'm currently still working on mine, but it's on hiatus since I'm so behind on programming homework. (I'm learning a ton of back end stuff. )

Question, do you buy your own hosting?
Thanks! It's still a work in progress so there are a few fatal coding errors (like how it's viewed on large monitors), but I'll be fixing that soon.

Yes, I purchased my domain and server space through IPOWER.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Wow you sound just like me hahaha. I'm a Cape Cod resident going to school in Newton and majoring in Graphic Design with a focus on web design LOL. I love to code!
That's quite the commute :shock: I feel your pain.

I spent all of my summers as a kid in Falmouth because my grandparents had a house there. I love the cape but will never drive there again on the weekends during the summer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! It's still a work in progress so there are a few fatal coding errors (like how it's viewed on large monitors), but I'll be fixing that soon.

Yes, I purchased my domain and server space through IPOWER.
I actually think you have the opposite problem. At least on my end, I'm not sure how you want your site to look, but on a large imac it looks great, but the minute you go to a smaller monitor, it gets cut in half.

If I ever get mine done, would you like to look at it? I could use the critique.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....good to have you as part of our community.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures and seeing some pics....

Enjoy your stay....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts