Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here, so Sunday I bought my 1st female betta, and a moss ball plant not sure if he is even beneficial.
The guy at petsmart told me to add regular bottled water.
Well got her home set up the tank, added a lucky bamboo which i think is dying. ( Help on this too i want it to stay alive)
Ph is neutral, all others I don't know at the moment....
There is a lot of vapor on the top glass, because the water dropped to about 60 since Monday and bought a heater yesterday and is not at 75 Degrees.
I have not done any water changes since Sunday. Thanks if you have any information to help me out!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello!:)
You dont need to add bottled water. water straight from the tap is fine, as long as you use water conditioner, which gets rid of things in the water that are harmful to bettas. i know lots of people on this forum, myself included, use Prime water conditioner. works great, i've never had any problems with it.
bamboo isnt a fully aquatic plant, it wont survive fully submerged. I dont know much about it, but the way you have it seems okay
the vapor is probably fine, just something that happens as your tank heats up
as for water changes, i would do at least a 50% change every week with a 2.5 gal. thats just me, though. not sure how everyone else would do it.
hope i helped a little!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom as your bacteria settles and colonizes. Just do a small water change to help it settle, like maybe a 15-20% change. Or you can leave it alone, it will go away on its own in a day.

The vapor is actually good for bettas, they come from a humid climate and some prefer the vapor at the water's surface, just make sure there is enough space at water surface and top of glass covering or whatever canopy so appropriate air can be exchanged.

She looks a little clamped in the last pic, maybe the water change will do her good. I think bottled water lacks some of the necessary compounds/minerals for a good tank environment. Only use tap water with conditioner.

For her tank, you can clean 50% once a week and replace it with clean fresh conditioned water that's the same temperature. If you want to start a cycle, don't clean everything at once. I set an aquarium up and never chance it 100%, I only vacuum the gravel and scrub walls/plants with up to 50% changes. That's just my method as I believe too clean water is more harm than its made out to be. Also, Indian almond leaves are your best friend. Get on ebay - or contact the member Mo here - for some leaves.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Add Prime water conditioner @2-drops/gallon every other day. Use tapwater. Two 50% or more water changes per week with Prime and matched temperature tapwater. Clean everything in the tank at least every other week. Set your heater up horizontally near the bottom of the tank. See if this raises your temperature a few degrees, which you need.

Try and get some soft cloth fake plants in there. Your fish will like to hide in them also sleep.

Don't even think abut cycling a 2.5g tank without a water test kit (not strips). You'll need a filter. rread up on it. But that comes later.

Read this first:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts