Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Fink - Female Veiltale with Red Markings (I think?)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're a few weeks into my daughters suddenly receiving betta fish, and just received a new one to replace one of our original two yesterday. I'm learning a lot on the fly and trying to get a fish-in cycle going in each of their tanks.

Our new one, Nebula, arrived yesterday. She hasn't eaten since we got her and her ventral fins were clamped. We slowly acclimated her--Let her bag hang in the tank for 20 minutes, added some tank water to her bag for an additional 20 minutes, then slipped her into the tank (it was a new, uncycled tank). She had stress lines, stayed pretty hidden behind the artificial plants, and didn't eat all yesterday, but I expected that.

Today, she's still not eating. One of her ventral fins have somewhat unclamped, but she's staying pretty still at the bottom of the tank and seems to be gasping. The Breeder I got her from recommended doing a 50% water change with reverse osmosis water or bottled water and NOT to add any water conditioner but to add an IAL leaf. (I live in Vegas and our tap water is really hard, and the Breeder has a Reverse Osmosis system for her tanks. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes and if that maybe contributed to Nebula's shock?)

Everything I've learned from here seems to say then opposite, so I wanted to ask for guidance in case I'm missing something. I know I need to do a water change, but with or without conditioner?

*** Our other betta, Fink, didn’t act like this when we transitioned her to her tank. And her mouth and gills don’t open and close non-stop. So I feel like Nebula is struggling and something’s wrong.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
3 Gallon
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes--Preset
What temperature is your tank?
80º
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No--Just HOB filter waterfall
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No--N/A

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Aquatic Foods Inc
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
Treats--bloodworms, miss, daphnia
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Just got her yesterday (08/06/22)--hasn't eaten since

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
N/A--Just got her yesterday
What percentage of water did you change?
N/A
What is the source of your water?
Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
N/A--But I typically vacuum for my other betta (separate tank)
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
N/A--But just started using Seachem Prime & Stability for my other betta (separate tank)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: .50 ppm? (I think)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Stress stripes seems to have gotten less noticeable
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
I just got her yesterday (08/06/22), but she hasn't taken any food since. She's just laying at then bottom, and it seems like she's gasping. Is the way she's "breathing" normal? I know that then change could be from the stress of moving, but I don't know if it's more than that.

Is your Betta still eating?
No--Hasn't eaten in 24 hrs
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No--Hoping on guidance first
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No--Not that I'm aware of
How long have you owned your Betta?
1 Day
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

Finger Fluid Font Line Material property
Liquid Fluid Finger Font Solution

·
Registered
Fink - Female Veiltale with Red Markings (I think?)
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

She wasn’t improving after I followed the Breeder’s recommendations, so I followed the common recommendations that I’ve seen here. I put her in a floating hospital container in her usual tank maintain temp. I changed her water daily with Prime and IAL extract. She was also really having trouble getting to the surface and immediately falling back to the bottom, so I kept the water level low the first couple of days in the hospital tank. She showed signs of improvement—no more gasping, started eating, and poop. So I started filling the hospital tank up almost all the way for more swim mobility with the same water change regimen. So far so good. I just got my Aquaclear sponges to modify my filter and slow my filter outflow (it was too fast for her), so I’m going it keep her in the hospital until I’ve changed it out this weekend. I have a Top Fin 3 Gallon Tank with an integrated Bettaflo Elements filter—uses replaceable cartridges that I took the carbon out and don’t plan on replacing.

I know that it’s not recommended to change the water and mess with the filters at the same time, but I don’t have a cycle. And I’m not sure if my water was the problem with her acclimation issues. Can I do a full water change and start from scratch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts