Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday my mom cleaned my bettas 5 and a half gallon tank while I was at school. When I got home from school he was breathing really hard and hiding at the bottom of the tank. Yesterday he didnt move from his hiding spot in this tree cave thing and was breathing really hard still. I didnt see him come to the surface. Today his face is red and it looks like he might have a cut but I'm not sure, I included a picture below. I fed him yesterday and the day before but he didnt zoom up to the surface like he usually does to get his food, I'm not sure if he ate any because it all sunk and he didnt pay attention to it He is still panting but not as bad as yesterday, he is barely moving around but not himself. I tested the water a little bit ago and it was mostly normal. I just dont know what to do I feel so bad! I've included a summary down below
-100%water change on Wednesday.
-my mom claimed to not have done anything differently, we've been doing this before and hes been fine
-im wondering if this might be temperature shock because my mom just puts him in this little 3 gallon tank while she is cleaning with 2 inches of water. We made sure the temperature was normal before putting him back in his normal tank, but he might have been cold in the 3 gallon one. Does temperature shock last this long?
-he is in a 5 1/2 gallon tank
-water change about every 2weeks
-nitrate (No3) 0
-nitrite (no2) 0
-pH 7
-KH 80
-GH 120 that's a little high how would I fix it?
-the tester strips I used dont have an ammonia test on them should I get some that have that?
-we boil our tap water and let it cool down and put it in the fish tank until it is a normal temp, is that wrong? We dont add anything to it
-tank has a heater set to 78degrees the temperature is 80 right now
-tank also has a filter, the filter was changed when the tank was cleaned
-He is panting and breathing hard at the bottom of the tank.

Water Vertebrate Underwater World Natural environment

He is not usually that pink, but he was a little bit.
Human body Font Ingredient Cuisine Fictional character
Font Material property Red Paper Publication

I have some of this will it help him? Please help me!I need your advice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the source of your water? Do you use any conditioner?
It is water from the sink. We don't condition it by adding anything it just gets boiled on the stove and cooled down to the right temp before we put him back.We have cleaned his tank before with water that was only boiled and he was fine, but this time he is different

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
You need conditioner that removes chlorine and chemicals out of the water. Boiling won't do that. I recommend seachem prime but honestly any water conditioner you can get your hands on that will make tap water safe will help. I think he might have chlorine poisoning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need conditioner that removes chlorine and chemicals out of the water. Boiling won't do that. I recommend seachem prime but honestly any water conditioner you can get your hands on that will make tap water safe will help. I think he might have chlorine poisoning.
Do you know if it is ok to add the conditioner while the fish is in the tank

·
Registered
140 Posts
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...
I know you already gave us much of this info but the form is a useful reference guide.
as I said boiling water does remove chlorine, and some chloramine. I still recommend conditioner because a lot of them are designed to help with stress and target other chemicals that boiling would miss.
I would try some Indian almond leaves in his tank to help with stress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
5.50gallons
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
80° Fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No
Food:
What food brand do you use?
I am not sure, the label came off when we were opening it. Here is a picture, we had to crush it because it was too big for my siblings fish's mouths Hand White Line Finger Font
Fluid Ingredient Cuisine Single-origin coffee Coffee substitute
Also every once in a while I will put one of these sinking pellets in his floating flower decoration
Hand Finger Publication Recipe Gadget

Fluid Automotive tire Gas Font Tire

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Once every night, about 2 little pellets

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
About every 2 weeks. I know now that this is wrong, does anyone have a cleaning schedule I could follow?
What percentage of water did you change?
100%
What is the source of your water?
Tap water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuumed it and washed it with the sprayer on the sink.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
We didnt add anything, just boiled it. I will start adding conditioner, I have this
Liquid Paint Tin Fluid Drink

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I dont have the numbers from before, I am new to the test strips, I got them when I noticed he was sick and tested after. Mine dont have a measurement for ammonia, should I get one that has that
Ammonia: I dont know the tester doesnt have this
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): 120
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Wednesday night/afternoon
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
He has become more red on the face
Fun Electric blue Glass Event Fish supply

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Not coming up to the surface to eat, not moving much, not as energetic as he was, and he is breathing hard.
Is your Betta still eating?
He doesnt come up to the surface, so I put one of those sink pellets in there and I think he may have eaten some of that.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Not yet but I have this will it help? I am going to do a 80% water change today and add in conditioner
Human body Font Ingredient Cuisine Fictional character

Font Material property Red Paper Publication

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No, he was fine, this is the first day I had him in july 2020 vs. Now
Water Window Azure Wood Door

Blue Green Azure Underwater Organism

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like he has ammonia burns on his face and may be suffering from ammonia poisoning. I would add Prime to the tank.

Do you rinse the whole tank when you do a full water change? If you are it may be causing the tank to cycle or go through a mini cycle. A cycled tank should have some nitrates showing.

Try doing 25-50% water changes and just vacuum the gravel to remove waste and debris. When adding water back dose with Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like he has ammonia burns on his face and may be suffering from ammonia poisoning. I would add Prime to the tank.

Do you rinse the whole tank when you do a full water change? If you are it may be causing the tank to cycle or go through a mini cycle. A cycled tank should have some nitrates showing.

Try doing 25-50% water changes and just vacuum the gravel to remove waste and debris. When adding water back dose with Prime.

Ok, thanks. What is Prime, is it any of these?
Bottle Liquid Solution Fluid Plastic bottle

What if I took him out with 20% of his old water and put him in a little tank, making sure the temp stays the same, and add water conditioner and Prime to the 80% new water. I would also vacuum the gravel. I dont understand cycling can you explain it to me?

·
Registered
20 Posts
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
This should explain what cycling a tank means.

None of those are Prime. Prime helps detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It also a water conditioner.

I never remove my bettas from the tank when I’m doing a water change. I vac the gravel to remove waste and debris. I do 25% on a 20 gallon and a 50% on a 10 gallon. I then add fresh clean water after treating it back to the tanks. Rinsing the gravel removes are the beneficial bacteria you need to break down toxins and convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
This should explain what cycling a tank means.

None of those are Prime. Prime helps detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It also a water conditioner.

I never remove my bettas from the tank when I’m doing a water change. I vac the gravel to remove waste and debris. I do 25% on a 20 gallon and a 50% on a 10 gallon. I then add fresh clean water after treating it back to the tanks. Rinsing the gravel removes are the beneficial bacteria you need to break down toxins and convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

Ok thanks is Ammo lock the same I didnt see Prime at the store

·
Registered
Akila, Atticus and Prince
919 Posts
Oh also, don't do 100% water changes. It kills the beneficial bacteria in fish tanks and really stresses out the fish. Idk if someone already mentioned it lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.