Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my betta (harry) seems quite sick and i don’t know what to do. Harry is my first ever fish. info— i’ve had harry since mid-june and he has been great up until now. he is in a 10g filtered/heated tank with live plants (swords, stem plants, floating) and nothing that seems like it could hurt him (no tank mates either.) earlier this week i noticed that his fins looked a little jagged/shredded. i didn’t really think a lot of it, maybe he hurt himself on something. but yesterday and today, whatever his illness is seems worse and i don’t know what to do. jagged fins, occasionally clamping of pectoral fins, almost always has his tail clamped, has trouble swimming to the bottom of the tank and overall does not seem as strong as he should. i just did a 50% water change and added clean dechlorinated water+ replenished tannins. please please give advice as to what to do. i’ve tried doing lots of research online but i’ve found lots of contradicting info that i just don’t know what to do. thank you!! (photos are attached)
Insect Textile Arthropod Art Moths and butterflies
Insect Window Petal Pollinator Terrestrial plant
Water Liquid Fluid Organism Insect
Organism Vegetation Plant Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Super Moderator
924 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

Could you fill out this form, so we have all important information available and won‘t miss anything:

BF Diseases & Emergencies Form

Just copy & paste it back here and fill in your answers.

Adding tannins was already a good thing to do and I hope we can figure out what his problem might be.

He‘s absolutely adorable by the way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes (hob)
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? around 80 degrees (give or take a few)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? omega one and north fin, frozen bloodworms every once in a while
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets and occasionally flakes (fluval bug bites)
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? monday-saturday , usually 3 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. sometimes i switch the amount but never more then four at a time

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 2 or 3 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? always 50%
What is the source of your water? tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum some of the substrate in the front
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? seachem prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

!! i didn’t do a water test before doing a 50% water change this morning. let me know if i should do one today, even though i just changed water!!

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? sunday/monday noticed fins looked ripped. last night swimming behavior was different
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fins are a little more clamped than normal and his fins seem jagged (fin rot?)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? a little slower than normal swimming
Is your Betta still eating? the last time i fed him was yesterday morning (he was eager to eat as usual:) as last night i was concerned about him getting backed up.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? haven’t don’t anything
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? since june 13, 2021
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

last night+today he was having trouble staying at the bottom of the tank. his back half was floating up and it was very hard for him to swim down. i’m watching him now and it seems like that is not happening to him right now. i also see a little poo in the front of his tank, so maybe that was caused from him being a little constipated:)

i’m still concerned about fin rot/ why his fins seem ripped and him clamping his right pectoral fin.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
Housing:

Food:
What food brand do you use? omega one and north fin, frozen bloodworms every once in a while
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets and occasionally flakes (fluval bug bites)
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? monday-saturday , usually 3 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. sometimes i switch the amount but never more then four at a time

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 2 or 3 weeks
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum some of the substrate in the front
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? seachem prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

!! i didn’t do a water test before doing a 50% water change this morning. let me know if i should do one today, even though i just changed water!!

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? sunday/monday noticed fins looked ripped. last night swimming behavior was different
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fins are a little more clamped than normal and his fins seem jagged (fin rot?)
Is your Betta still eating? the last time i fed him was yesterday morning (he was eager to eat as usual:) as last night i was concerned about him getting backed up.

last night+today he was having trouble staying at the bottom of the tank. his back half was floating up and it was very hard for him to swim down. i’m watching him now and it seems like that is not happening to him right now. i also see a little poo in the front of his tank, so maybe that was caused from him being a little constipated:)

i’m still concerned about fin rot/ why his fins seem ripped and him clamping his right pectoral fin.
Yes, I would test your water even if you did a water change. This is very important. Thank you

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
Housing:

Food:
Freeze-dried? no

Maintenance:

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:

Could you also post a picture of the whole tank. Thx!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here’s his tank! i’m going to test the water later tonight(i’m not home rn)
also i’m going to be replacing the tree in his tank with a piece of driftwood when it gets in stock from a shop on etsy. it doesn’t feel rough like it could hurt him though
Amber Botany Organism Yellow Water

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just got home and now he has a hole in his dorsal fin!! he might have had them earlier today but i just noticed them. i’m going to be adding more tannins right now. he is swimming better now (not floating and is swimming faster and more like normal.) i’ll be testing water soon. i don’t know how to help him.
Plant Water Organism Pollinator Insect
Plant Light Leaf Nature Organism

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harry is looking and acting the same as yesterday. water parameters are 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and between 5-10ppm nitrate

·
Super Moderator
924 Posts
That sounds at least not too bad!

I‘d try and keep his water pristine and loaded with tannins - preferably from Indian Almond Leaves - and see if he can take care of his issues himself.

If the status is turning for worse you can still look into over the counter meds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds at least not too bad!

I‘d try and keep his water pristine and loaded with tannins - preferably from Indian Almond Leaves - and see if he can take care of his issues himself.

If the status is turning for worse you can still look into over the counter meds.
okay, thank you. i still have a few questions haha. how often should i start doing water changes? if it progresses worse, what meds do you recommend? thanks again:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also just an update for this morning. i fed him 3 omega one pellets and he happily ate all of them. i ordered vitachem last night so i’m hoping that will come tomorrow and i can soak some of his food in it. he had some white/clear poo? hanging from him today. fins don’t really look worse but not better by any means.
Water Nature Fin Plant Underwater

·
Super Moderator
924 Posts
Keep us updated if he continues to produce white/stringy poop.
This could guide us towards a more appropriate approach.
I‘d try and go for 25% water changes twice per week.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
also just an update for this morning. i fed him 3 omega one pellets and he happily ate all of them. i ordered vitachem last night so i’m hoping that will come tomorrow and i can soak some of his food in it. he had some white/clear poo? hanging from him today. fins don’t really look worse but not better by any means. View attachment 1034731
Hi, I definitely agree with everything recommended. You may want to do a quick double check on your decor and the plastic pot with your plant to make sure there is nothing he could tear them on. I can’t tell if the statue of the ruins has some sharp corners or if it’s just the angle of the pic? Also, the plastic pots are sometimes sharp around the lip. You could always take the plant out or bury the pot under your substrate. If that’s a Java fern or Windelov fern, I’d take it out since they need no substrate and float it or tie it to a rock or piece of wood. I can’t tell if it is.

The best way to check for anything that is too sharp is with a pair of pantyhose/nylons. If anything catches or snags on the nylons as you run it over it, it will rip a bettas fins or scales.

It’s realy hard for me to tell if it’s fin rot or nipping. Nipping can be caused by boredom or stress but is more common on long-finned bettas as opposed to plakats.

Other than crystal clean water and the IAL tea, the only other product I recommend for bettas with fin or scale loss is called Kordons Fish Protector. It has worked really well for me and others I’ve recommended it to. It will create an extra thick slime coat and speed up the healing process and it’s all natural. This is what it looks like. I’m pretty sure Amazon has it too.

You could also add a little Aquarium Salt (not epsom salt) to his tank but be careful to dose correctly if you do.

I hope this helps! He’s in great hands with you and if things look worse or his behavior is alarming, don’t hesitate to update. In some cases meds might help, but for now I’d do the IAL, clean water and Kordons Fish Protector.

He’s so adorable! I’m wishing for a quick recovery!

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
i just got home and now he has a hole in his dorsal fin!! he might have had them earlier today but i just noticed them. i’m going to be adding more tannins right now. he is swimming better now (not floating and is swimming faster and more like normal.) i’ll be testing water soon. i don’t know how to help him. View attachment 1034680 View attachment 1034681
One more thing, when I buy new wood or any hardscape for my tanks I always use a coarse sandpaper stick I make by glueing the sandpaper to a new paint stirring wooden stick. I go over every nook and cranny to smooth out all rough or jagged edges. Also, you could always soak it for a week or two in conditioned water in a bucket to soften it up first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I definitely agree with everything recommended. You may want to do a quick double check on your decor and the plastic pot with your plant to make sure there is nothing he could tear them on. I can’t tell if the statue of the ruins has some sharp corners or if it’s just the angle of the pic? Also, the plastic pots are sometimes sharp around the lip. You could always take the plant out or bury the pot under your substrate. If that’s a Java fern or Windelov fern, I’d take it out since they need no substrate and float it or tie it to a rock or piece of wood. I can’t tell if it is.

The best way to check for anything that is too sharp is with a pair of pantyhose/nylons. If anything catches or snags on the nylons as you run it over it, it will rip a bettas fins or scales.

It’s realy hard for me to tell if it’s fin rot or nipping. Nipping can be caused by boredom or stress but is more common on long-finned bettas as opposed to plakats.

Other than crystal clean water and the IAL tea, the only other product I recommend for bettas with fin or scale loss is called Kordons Fish Protector. It has worked really well for me and others I’ve recommended it to. It will create an extra thick slime coat and speed up the healing process and it’s all natural. This is what it looks like. I’m pretty sure Amazon has it too.

You could also add a little Aquarium Salt (not epsom salt) to his tank but be careful to dose correctly if you do.

I hope this helps! He’s in great hands with you and if things look worse or his behavior is alarming, don’t hesitate to update. In some cases meds might help, but for now I’d do the IAL, clean water and Kordons Fish Protector.

He’s so adorable! I’m wishing for a quick recovery!
thank you!!
i think i might remove the pot just to be safe and let the java fern float. do you add the kordons fish protector straight into the tank or into water first, then into the tank? also with that, do you need to take out any carbon filters when using the kordons fish protector?

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
Hi! I don’t use carbon (unless I need to remove meds) so it’s really not required and you actually will have more tannins in your water without it since the carbon filters them or some out but if you’d like to keep it in, it should be fine. I prefer filling up my filter with more bio media (I use Matrix and a bio foam sponge and I’ve also used the plastic bio balls) and I buy a huge things of filter floss for real cheap on Amazon to filter out any gunk and I just toss it when it’s full of gunk and replace it. I know some people like carbon though it’s just my preference because I don’t find it necessary unless you’re getting rid of meds.

I add the Kordons directly to the water. I believe for 10 gallons it’s 4.5ml and I just use a dropper to measure and add it. I find it to be instantly calming for fish too as it’s really good for any fish stress along with its other great properties. When it comes to fin and scale damage, the Kordons with the IAL are the way to go.

You could save these photos and see how Harry’s progress is in a week or weekly. If meds do come into the picture (hopefully not) but just in case the Kordons also helps meds bind to fish more too making them more effective. The bottle will last a long time too. It’s definitely worth it, especially in Harry’s case.

I think removing the pot is best. With Java ferns you won’t want to bury the roots anyway. I always glue (with aquarium safe glue) or use fishing line to tie them to wood or rocks. Or you can let it float! Or you could even grab some suction cups with the hoop on them and tuck it in the hoop or tie it to it. Bettas love snuggling up in anything floating! If you decide you want to plant it, just don’t bury the rhizome or It will rot and die.

Anyway, keep us posted on his progress! If you run out of IAL tea or leaves and have a hard time finding them in stock, I recently picking up this Carib Sea Blackwater which is basically the same as a strong tea. I’ve been recommending it for those that don’t want to make the tea and It works great and is real good to have on the fly if you do run out of leaves. Here it is. This should last a long time too…

I hope you have a nice night! I’m sending out happy thoughts to Harry! Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
morning update!
clear/white poo is still hanging on harry. his fins aren’t looking any better but don’t necessarily look worse. he ate 2 omega one pellets this morning, i’m trying to be extra careful to not over feed him any. vitachem should be coming today so he’ll start getting that in as well. kordons should be coming tomorrow.
Plant Pollinator Arthropod Insect Leaf

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright.. got home around 3:20 and checked in on harry and he’s having the same issue as on friday/saturday. i don’t know if his swim bladder is messed up or what is really going on. he is struggling to swim down and is being pulled up by his back half. i guess you can’t attach videos on here but i would if i could.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
706 Posts
I think there is a way to attach videos because someone else did recently. Is he eating and acting normal, struggling to breathe at the top of the water or breathing heavy?

It does sound like it could be SBD? How much do you normally feed him? I can’t tell if he’s a little bloated or a bit malnourished. If you can figure out how to attach a video on here that would be awesome. Have you googled videos on what SBD looks like?

Basically he’d either be at the bottom of the tank and having a hard time swimming back up without floating down, or staying at the top of the water sort of bobbing and having trouble righting himself and staying up or having trouble swimming to the bottom. It’s a buoyancy problem. He might swim upside down or sideways. Basically having trouble swimming. Does his spine have an s curve. Maybe you could take a pic of him looking down at him.

You said he has been pooping, right? Is he refusing to eat? On a normal healthy day, how much do you feed him.

Im so glad the Kordons and Vitachem are coming soon. I am worried about the SBD. If he is constipated with SBD the first recommendation would be an epsom salt bath. But this is to relax him and works as a laxative if he is constipated. He doesn’t appear to be in the pics but it’s hard for me to tell.

Also, if you have a small tank or bowl you could set up a temporary hospital tank, you may want to start setting this up. It makes it easier to see if he’s pooping and is a controlled environment. Plus less chance of him hurting himself.

I will check for your reply but for now if you could send me his water parameters (from a master kit if you have one otherwise strips are fine. If you can send a video, that would be great. Definitely post a pic of him from the top and a few more angles. Also, if you can’t attach a video, see if you can find one online to compare to or give me a real thorough example of how he is swimming.

How is his attitude?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts