Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my betta fish on the 19 of April. He’s in a ten gallon with a heater and filter. I’ve never seen him eat. I’ve tried pelletes, flakes, and freeze
Dried blood worms but he hasn’t seemed the least bit interested in food. I’m worried he’s going to starve. I don’t know why he isn’t eating he sometimes sits at the bottom of his tank or on leaves but for no more than a couple of seconds/minutes at a time. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Can you post a photo of him from above as well as from the side? And, even though you've only had him for a month, please fill out the form. Thank you.

I should never get in a hurry to answer because I forget things! Also, a photo of his tank and, if you have one, a photo of him from around the time you brought him home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll fill out the form now. Here are the pictures. I moved him to a smaller tank so I could monitor him better that’s why it looks so small.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yyes
What temperature is your tank? heater is set to 79 f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 5 Cardinal tetras

Food:
What food brand do you use?aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? tried both but mostly pellets
Freeze-dried?tried freeze dried blood worms as a treat
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day, a pinch

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? i just got the betta
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water? sink but conditioned with fish tank readier
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I have no idea what brand sorry

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I have no idea the answer to these
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? since I got him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? i don't think so
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? he seems happier and is making bubbles, I just haven't seen him interested in food. He also sometimes sits at the bottom of the tank for a minute or two
Is your Betta still eating? no
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? peas
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? idk
How long have you owned your Betta? a month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no idea

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
There are several possibilities:

1. The Cardinals are stressing him out. He's lived alone and tank mates, especially "busy" ones, can cause them issues. I'd suggest getting a divider to separate them.

2. Stress is taking away his appetite or, slower than the Cardinals, he's not able to compete. He does look thin. From above fish should look like this. Smooth body from head to caudal with no indents.
Head Eye Fin Underwater Koi

Separate him or lure him into a cup and feed him frozen Bloodworms; not freeze-dried. Feed at least two or three times per day. If his food is Aqueon Betta or Color it is a good food; if it is Pro, not so much.

3. Parameters (Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates) are off. To keep water healthy a 10 gallon tank needs a 25%-50% weekly water change and vacuum. Most pet shops will test them for free; or, better, you can buy an API Master Test Kit.

Is his belly always like it is in Photo #3? Or does it go back down?

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Clear divider is fine.

You could also get a large breeder net as a temporary solution. They make them smaller than this.

How planted is the tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two real plants in it (both are dying lol) but other than that there’s a fake plant and a house decoration.In regards to your belly question I am not positive but I believe his stomach sometimes looks less bloated than that. Also thank you so much for your help!

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
The more plants the better for Betta. In a community tank the Betta has somewhere to chill and they remove lines of sight and chase.

Wish we could help more but I think he may be intimidated or out competed for food. You could also get him a 2.5 gallon tank ($15 at PetSmart).and a heater and separate him permanently. But he might start recovery in a breeder's net and eating frozen. The advantage to the breeder's net is you can keep an eye on him better. I've used them many times when I wasn't sure if a fish was sick or it was my imagination.

BTW, the bold was only so you'd have quick reference to suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts