Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Finley for three years now in a 5 gallon Fluval Chi tank with a filter and a heater set at 79 degrees. I tested his water last week and all parameters seem to be fine. Ran out of testing strips so I havent tested it lately, but I have been doing 50% water changes everyday and treating the new water with Prime.

I noticed his fins were starting to fray a lot so I assumed it was fin rot, so I treated with aq salt and did water changes and it seemed to be getting worse. I then tried tetracycline to treat and one day I came back from work he was horribly lethargic, so I did an immediate 100% water change and he hasn't really recovered, he seems to be getting worse.

When I put pellets in last week he would try to swim up and get them but would miss and float back down. Now he doesnt even move for food.

I can't tell if he is dying of old age because I have had him for three years and I am not sure how old he already was from the pet store, or if he is dying of something else. He looks so pitiful and I don't know what else to do to help him.

Have picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Poor Finley. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
I'd stop all the water changes as that is stressful. Do you have Prime? Use 10 drops per day to keep the ammonia locked up and just change 25% if your ammonia level gets to .25.
Is his eye cloudy or is that flash making it look white? I'm asking as lethargy, swim bladder issues and cloudy eye/vision problems are symptoms of strep infection. Strep is gram positive so erythromycin would be the treatment of choice.
A methylene blue bath will pump some oxygen into his tissues and might help--one quart tank water with 5 drops methylene blue. Let him swim in this for 30 minutes then toss the bath.
Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would start treating him for strep right away:
1. Get erythromycin, methylene blue, neomycin--you can buy them online if you can't find them locally. The sooner you can start treatment, the better chance he has of fighting this off.
Get a clean, never washed with soap, container-I use well rinsed milk jugs with the top partly cut away.
Make up a medicated bath of one quart tank water with 5 drops methylene blue added. Calculate the erythromycin does for a quart--use the package instructions-- and double it. Add this to the bath. Lower him into it and let him swim in it for 30 minutes. Do this twice daily with a newly made up bath each time--toss the used one.
Soak his food in neomycin before feeding it. This will fight the strep externally and internally. If he doesn't respond to this in 48 hours, we are fighting a resistant strain or something else is going on, so let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We don't know for sure, but he has many of the symptoms.
Of course you should do what you believe is right.
I am just telling you what I would do were this my fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.