Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I've kept this koi betta for 6 months now and he's the most active little fish I've ever seen 馃グ However, recently I've noticed him turning black gradually starting from his tail. His fins and tails are also a bit clamped. I read about marbling but I'm not sure if this is the case with him. Anyone has any idea if this is normal or is he ill...? Any kind of help is really appreciated 馃槶

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
- 4 gallon.
Does it have a filter?
- Yes.
Does it have a heater?
- No.
What temperature is your tank?
- 77 - 80 F.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
- Yes an air stone.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
- Some moss balls.

Food:
What food brand do you use?
- National Geographic.
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
- Flakes.
Freeze-dried?
- I've only fed him flakes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
- Once a day in the morning. Usually 3-4 flakes which he can consume in 2 minutes.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
- Every 3 - 4 weeks.
What percentage of water did you change?
- 50%.
What is the source of your water?
- Tap.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
- Gravel vacuumed.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
- A tablespoon of aquarium salt and some almond leaves. Biorb water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: not tested
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): < 30 mg/L
Alkalinity (KH): < 40 mg/L

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
- About 2 weeks.
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed?
- Scales turning black starting from the tail.
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed?
- Less active; fins and tails clamped.
Is your Betta still eating?
- Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
- Added some aquarium salt and almond leaves recently.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
- No.
How long have you owned your Betta?
- About 6 months.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
- No.

Before:

Now:

Super Moderator
As Koi have the marble gene it is not abnormal for them to change color. However, the clamped fins is concerning.

Please fill out this form so we have all the information we need in one place. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can... Please fill out in its entirety even if it means repeating yourself. Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As Koi have the marble gene it is not abnormal for them to change color. However, the clamped fins is concerning.

Please fill out this form so we have all the information we need in one place. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can... Please fill out in its entirety even if it means repeating yourself. Thank you.
Thanks for replying! I've updated the original post with the provided form to the best of my knowledge. Any help is truly appreciated!! :cry:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone shed some light on this situation? I'm really worried about my fish... Treatment? Water change? Diet change?

Super Moderator
So the colour change seems to be normal. Can I offer a few pointers about why his fins might be clamped? A 4 gallon needs at least one 50% water change per week. If you are only changing the water every 3-4 weeks the ammonia is likely high. Also, you don鈥檛 need to use salt all the time, it is really for when they have minor injuries/illnesses.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the colour change seems to be normal. Can I offer a few pointers about why his fins might be clamped? A 4 gallon needs at least one 50% water change per week. If you are only changing the water every 3-4 weeks the ammonia is likely you鈥檙e high. Also, you don鈥檛 need to use salt all the time, it is really for when they have minor injuries/illnesses.
Thanks for the advice! Changing water sounds a great idea. Will definitely try that. I've only added salt for this one time since I thought he might be ill 馃槩

1 - 6 of 6 Posts