Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought him a filtered 5.5 gallon a few weeks ago and it seemed like he was getting gradually better. He was sleeping a lot one night and I decided to do a 25% water change. When I started doing it the partials from the bottom began floating all around the tank so I panicked not wanting to put him back into the water and ended up just doing a full change. After the change he was a little pale and stressed but I assumed it would be gone by morning. It wasn't and began to get worse day by day.

I did a 25% percent water change last night which helped but not very much. So I did a full change this morning and he looked like he improved a little bit. But then after dinner tonight when I came back he looked extremely pale again.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Top Fin 10.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes, 8 watt heater and a heat lamp.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He only eats bloodworms and I usually feed him one per day.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? It's been very irregular lately since I've been trying to fix his illness. I've been doing 100% once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 3 Bowl Buddy Tabs.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: not sure.
Alkalinity: not sure.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are turning see through and his body has gotten much paler.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much, he still eats and blows lots of bubbles.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? It happened once in his old 1.5 gallon tank and fixed itself for a while once I moved him to his new 5.5 gallon tank.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing other than water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had a mild case of fin rot and began getting pale when I began doing partial water changes. Then went away, and is now back again.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from Petco at the end of October.

Here's a picture of him, he's still swimming okay but looks AWFUL.

Feeder fish Aquarium Organism Fish Flower

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think You could be dealing with maintenance issues here and diet. I am not sure about the tank buddy tabs either, I would go buy a water de-chlorinator like Prime and treat water before adding to tank, I know a lot here use that one, you maybe also dealing with ammonia issues if this is a new set up, what test kit do you have and is it liquid or strips?

Also I think changing 100% water changes at a time is too much, you want to do 50% a week and get a gravel siphon so you can clean the gravel out each week, don't worry too much if there is a little poo floating around after a water change it will settle and it wont harm your fish, but if you use a gravel siphon you should be able to remove most of it anyway, that's what you want to aim for.

What do you feed him?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's a really picky eater and refuses to eat pellets. He eats, bloodworms, daphia and mysis. I was feeding him one crushed bloodworm per day until I read that it's healthier to feed him a more balanced diet so I invested in the daphnia and mysis.

I started feeding him those but it's tricky because they are much more tough than the bloodworms I feed him. I'm not completely sure how long I should soak them for and such. And the last time I fed him mysis he seemed to be having a lot of trouble swimming around so I fasted him for a day and fed him a small crushed bloodworm today.

I haven't established a strict feeding schedule yet (what to feed him, how long to soak it, which day, how often, etc.). Any suggestions?

Also I've been debating turning the filter off for a few days, because I think it's been stressing him out a little bit. What do you think? Yay or nay?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I am not sure about what petsmart stocks as I am in Australia, but I have been around long enough to know what other members use, Seachems prime. or another good water conditioner make is API. Any good petstore, fish store should sell them, they are pretty well known brands.

The test strips are rubbish anyway so I wouldn't assume those readings are correct. I would advise getting API liquid test kits for Ammonia and Nitrite to rule that out.

Feeding if the bloodworms you are feeding are freeze dried they are rubbish and I would recommend throwing them out and replacing with proper frozen from a freezer. Pellets if you have a cheap brand then he may be picky and not eat them, and not offer good nutrition anyway. I would recommend, New Life Spectrum betta pellets, or omega buffet betta pellets. They are the two most popular on this forum, I actually use the NLS pellets, with a frozen tropical mix every other day evening feed.

Feeding I would recommend twice a day, and pre soak pellets for a few mins in tank water in a cup before feeding. you should feed until his tummy looks nicely full but not to the point of exploding you will see his tummy expand with every mouth full his tummy is just behind his side fins. How much you feed will depend on your fish's size and the pellet size, or frozen food, my boy usually has about 6 to 8 pellets in one feed, although my pellets are really small, even after soaking. And he is a decent sized boy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts