Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I posted a question a few weeks ago about my fish having an extremely bloated stomach. Since then I have bought new food for him with two proteins as the first ingredients, and it has more fiber to help him if he's constipated. I also bought some anti-parasite liquid and have started treating his tank with that. Lastly, I've been giving him epsom salt baths. These were all recommendations from a post about fish diseases, and it hasn't been long, but could this be something more than bloat or parasites? I honestly don't think it's dropsy, because how it sounds makes me think that he wouldn't last 5 weeks, and though he has a bloated stomach, he doesn't have swollen eyes, a gray belly, and he's not pineconing. Anyway, after three more weeks of bloating, his stomach is getting larger, and I don't know how to reduce the swelling. A friend talked about "poking" the stomach to release air, but I'm not too apt to try that unless I'm sure that it's air causing his swelling and that it's the only way to help him. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want my fish to die by getting caught behind his tank because his stomach is so big, which he keeps doing. Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My Oscar did the same thing and didn't respond to any medications, Epsom salt, antibiotics, antiparasitics, anti fungal. NOTHING WORKED. I aspirated him because he was so big he couldn't swim properly, afterwards he developed regular dropsy and died. I'm starting to think something is wrong with our fish genetically. Or something similar to kidney stones o.o do fish GET kidney stones?

He looks just like Oscar did it's not air or he would be floating, it's fluid and I'm not sure how to help no one answered my questions either

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
(No, I'm not back.. Just saw this & had to respond.)

My CT girl Rose is also like this; she looks like she swallowed a peanut M&M. I think that @Sadist's CT girl Stormy also looked like this. I believe it's a CT thing, mostly genetic. I haven't been able to find anything to do about it. ;-;

(Bye!)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Oscar was a vt not a ct so that doesn't quite fit

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Hmmmm. Confusing. Is it possible at all (petstore betta) that he could've had CT in his genes, at all, anywhere, in any generation of his family?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for replying! :) I'm confused as to why no one would reply to either of our posts Mystic. I though that this was supposed to be a community to get betta help, and I am seriously concerned for my little guy. I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your fish Oscar :(
I'm going to try fasting Arete another few days as it has been awhile since I've done that. I'll keep this post updated on his condition if there are any changes!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
My crowntail girls both look like that because of where their ovaries are, but that fish looks male. I'm not sure what to do besides the epsom salts, fasting, and better food. Daphnia (a food) would help along with epsom salt and flaring sessions if it's constipation. Did you see what type of fiber is in his new food? A more animal-based fiber (daphnia or shrimp shells) would be better than wheat fillers. I would still recommend getting some frozen daphnia, epsom salt treatments, and flaring sessions until his belly goes down. After that, having 1-2 meals a week daphnia for the rest of his life would probably help to keep it from coming back. Keeping up on water changes will help with his overall health.

Poking his belly with needles equates to surgery for something this small, and I don't recommend that unless you're skilled that way and have a very good knowledge of betta internal anatomy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I would prefer not to have to poke him if I didn't have to. I have heard of Daphnia, but went to a pet store and they didn't have any, but I bough another recommended food with salmon and whole herring as the two first ingredients. I just moved him to his smaller tank so I can take care of him a little more easily, and treated the water with epsom salt and the anti parasite liquid. I also recalled seeing a small, white, wormlike thing sticking out of him at one point, and it never occurred to me that he possibly could have worms, so I bought a dewormer last night on amazon. If the anti parasite medicine doesn't work, I will try that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could the white worm like thing have been abnormal poop trailing? (The anus is right in front of the - well - anal fin so I guess that's obvious. :p)

Habing the same problem with my fish currently. Like Mystic I have tried everything I can think of including Epsom salt, daily water changes, increase in temperature, antibiotics. None of that has helped but today I'm starting a stronger antibiotic. I haven't treated for parasites though.

My thread is Bloating Without Problems Swimming if you think it might give you some ideas. Good luck. I hope we both figure it out.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have limited online time, so I don't get to read all the threads that I have enough knowledge to help. Sometimes, I can read and comment one one disease thread and maybe read another and not be able to help at all. Sometimes, all I can do is quote stuff from the treatment sticky and hope it helps

White wormy thing could have been some sort of internal parasite, and it could also be constipated poo or just white poo from eating white food (mysis shrimp make my fish all poo white for a day). Getting a good close up shot would help knowledgeable people help diagnose the difference between an internal parasite sticking out or some poo. I've read that Jungle brand has anti-parasite food pellets, which aren't a bad idea to keep on hand if you suspect internal parasites. Anti-parasite meds in the water column mostly deal with external parasites and won't necessarily get ones in the digestive tract. Daily water change with substrate vacuuming are very important to get rid of any parasites that have left the fish, too.

Good luck with your boy!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I used parazipro, it targets both which is why I got it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts