Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Housing: beginners fish tank
How many gallons is your tank? 21L (5.5Gallons)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 23.4 c (74.12 f)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes air stone and air pump
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No (although spotted a small snail)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Betta Bio Gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? once a day
How much? 10 balls approx.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Gravel suction vacuum
What additives do you use? Sera betta aquatan, stability and prime
What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): unknown
Alkalinity (KH): unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? White cloudy eye, flared gills, torn fin, maybe a slight tail damage?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Aggressive, frantic swimming, angry
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not sure (only had him 2 weeks)
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Torn fin, hiding in cave

Hi all, meet Figaro.

Please note, I’m very new to fish keeping (just 2 weeks in fact!)

I inherited a Betta (Crowntail - I’m guessing), who looked really unhappy in a vase in my office (constantly hid in his cave, had no filter/pump/a holiday block as food etc), and as I’d already set up and been cycling my 21L (5 gallon) beginners tank for a goldfish for 3 weeks (the ph was always 7.6 so I was delaying getting one unless it came down, I even added a small bit of driftwood and Cattapa leaves but this did nothing and I’ve since removed these from the tank), but I said I would take him home as I thought he’d have a better life.

Well, now I feel pretty stupid as he’d survived 9 months in the vase in the office and just 2 weeks of having him, from the first photo i took (top one) which is when I got him, to now two bad eyes (bottom photo).

I noticed one has turned milky white yesterday and the other eye is turning white. He’s also being super aggressive and flaring his gills if I come close to the tank, he is darting frantically back and forth in the tank too.

Yesterday, I’ve done a 50% water change adding 5ml of Sera betta aquatan, 2.5ml stability and 1ml prime. As read cloudy eyes are from poor tank maintenance but I read tanks only need to be water changed once a week and it’s only my second week having him!?

Today, I’ve just added a cap full of Prime as I read it will stabilise ammonia for 48hrs until I find the cause and I dropped in an “Aqua One ammonia and acid prevention block” because when I tested the water with API test kit beforehand, the ammonia was at 0.25ppm.

I feed him about 10 pellets a day of “Betta Bio Gold” and I have an air stone, a hang on back filter which came with the tank, which I modified and removed the cartridge it came with inside and replaced with Poly Filter as I read this is a better thing to do. I also put a block of “Marine Pure Bio Filter Media” in the tank itself. I have two live plants which have bought with them a couple of snails but I read these can be good for tanks and algae problems. I have a thermometer which fluctuates between 22 c and 25 c (no heater).

Really unsure what to do, or what I am doing wrong that caused this to happen?

Any help, much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Photo’s:
1.Hang on back filter with poly filter
2. Food and what I put in water changes
3. Tank set up - currently
4. Last nights API water test results
5. Poorly fish - white eye
6. Another pic of eye at a different angle

· Registered
85 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. Please fill out this form so people can help you better.

· Registered
266 Posts
Hi and welcome. I appreciate you just did a long post but for faster reference it would help if you could put all that into the form.

At a first glance though it looks like the tank is cycling again. You made the right decision to take the Betta on though, Goldfish actually need hundreds of liters to live their full lifespans and max size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.