Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size is your tank? .5
What temperature is your tank? ~73 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bloodworms/pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? i alternate bloodworms 2 and pellets 3 and skip wednesdays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? i do a full water change letting the water sit overnight before transfering back into tank
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just water conditioner and an ick preventer.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? swollen on the left side of his belly color dimming and some possible fin rot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? twitchy curls up around himself, floating near the top, refuses to eat but still poops and very lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a little over a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? got him a pea when i noticed the swollen belly after a week of him getting worse i did epsom salts which kind of worked but has seemed to stop.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him about 3 weeks ago from Petsmart

Please help Cpt. Steve! I've been doing all i can i don't know what else to do! i havent had him for very long and i have just gotten him a new 1 gal tank i'm just scared to put him in it. i dont want him to go into shock because i have seen it happen with other fish. I have already had one fish die on me and im determined to keep captain steve from meeting the same end. he is a stubborn little bugger and i want him to stay.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
he is likely suffering Ammonia poisoning living in such a small tank with only once a week water changes. Move to the bigger tank ASAP. And in the bigger tank you need to be doing at least 50% water changes every other day maybe daily depending on your Ammonia levels, and 100% once a week.

I would recommend getting an API liquid Ammonia test kit so you can test for Ammonia in your water, you need to change out water when you have a reading 0.25 or above, you ideally don't want it much above 0.25. Also if you get the de-chlorinator by seachems called Prime and double dose that will help detoxify the harmful Ammonia to a less toxic form.

Also your water is too cold, Betta's should be kept at least at the temperature of 76F and preferring closer to 80F so I would also recommend a heater.

I have attached a betta Basic sheet. you might find the info useful.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232570

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is likely suffering Ammonia poisoning living in such a small tank with only once a week water changes. Move to the bigger tank ASAP. And in the bigger tank you need to be doing at least 50% water changes every other day maybe daily depending on your Ammonia levels, and 100% once a week.

I would recommend getting an API liquid Ammonia test kit so you can test for Ammonia in your water, you need to change out water when you have a reading 0.25 or above, you ideally don't want it much above 0.25. Also if you get the de-chlorinator by seachems called Prime and double dose that will help detoxify the harmful Ammonia to a less toxic form.

Also your water is too cold, Betta's should be kept at least at the temperature of 76F and preferring closer to 80F so I would also recommend a heater.

I have attached a betta Basic sheet. you might find the info useful.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232570
THANK YOU SO MUCH! i'm on spring break and at home this week but Steve and I move back tomorrow. Putting him in the bigger tank will be the first thing i do. :) I keep him under a desk lamp at school but since ive been home for the week i couldn't bring it with me. Ill post tomorrow and say how he is doing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The one gallon will be much better for him. To help with your shock situation, allow him to be introduced to the new clean water slowly, float him in his cup and let new water pour in, the let him float in his cup and allow his water temp. to match the new water's temp. After about 15-30 mins(alot of factors here) he will be fine to transfer to new tank.

But you really really need warmer water for ur betta. You gotta get some source of heat to his tank. (if u have space heater, use it and put him in a room but dont over do it. 78° -80° is ideal, and This will help him in thousands of ways.

you should change your water in the 1 gallon every 24 hrs. But your best option is to eventually get a 3-5 gallon tank. But even better you can buy a 10gl and once your confident in your fish keeping, divide it and prep it for TWO bettas :)

DIY sponge filters work in small tanks and arent costly ...if you cant find any at petstores. Youtube.com has videos :)

dont use peas.
If hes floating fast him.
Take some time to read more threads. You learn soooo much and there are THOUSANDS of people that CARE about your Betta and Want to help

Good Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your help. i actually just went and put him by my space heater :p not too close though and not too high a temp i dont want to cook him :p as for the pea thing i only did that because at the time he wasnt floating much and i only thought he was constipated, he has been fasting for 2 days now and once i get him in the bigger tank im going to try feeding him again.
do you have any advice for finding an inexpensive heater?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I actually have a fish room with space heater I use to heat six 5gallon tanks, and three 10 gallon tanks. The rooms stays at 86 degrees.

But its deff. A Good idea to have a tank heater. You shouldn't leave space heaters on without being home.

Walmart seems to be the cheapest.
but they only carry tetra brand, and Ive thrown away 2. Fluval brand is the kind I use now. Avaiable at petsmart , petco, etc. You can look on craigslist too. I trade stuff with ppl all the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i just got him in the new tank and he seems scared but he is exploring alot. he seems to like it. he has only been in it for an hour and he already seems to be better. Moving around alot, he isnt floating on the top anymore. havent tried feeding him yet but i will try tomorrow. thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it must have been too little too late or just his time to go but i came back from class and found that Captain Steve Rogers has gone to the big fish tank in the sky. he will be missed.
thank you for all your help with him :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts