Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I need help...

Ok, so I want to setup and cycle yet another tank for either a new fish or to upgrade the guy in my avatar from a 2.5galon.

I've been eyeing the 5galon Hawkeye from Walmart which is just $25, perfect price. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258 I also like the lightbulb and have the filter and airpump to replace the one it comes with.
Cons: the hood, it's very chunky and the tank is a little wide. It's also acrylic and, do I really want another acrylic tank when I have 3 2.5galons I'm using as tubs to prepare water in?

I'm also considering the Fluval Chi which is $49 (ouch!) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TM1BAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER and the sold separately lid would be an extra $11 (double ouch!)= $60 plus shipping
I like the clean and open design but I'm not comfortable with a filter I'm not familiar with... I'm a sponge filter fanatic.
Pros: Base is only 10x10inch, it's glass so it will not get scratched. My apartment does not get a lot of natural light (I live in Seattle) so the clear top will allow more light in.
Cons: PRICE. I do have the extra funds but you can understand why I'm still debating, it's $35 more than the walmart one and I still need to buy plants.

What you guys think? I would love to hear about experiences with the fluval filter, specially if you have cycled the tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quality wise, the Chi is much better. The Chiis a very nice tank, it has more than enough room for a bette and the filter is perfect if you ask me. The way the filter is designed it creates a geltle flow so it won't blow your betta around. If you add the lid it will be jumper proof.
The new Fluval mini tanks in general are nice. I have a 6 gallon Edge and a 12 gallon Edge and I have a friend with a Chi/lid... all are very nice.
I know the Walmart tank is cheap, but they are cheap for a reason. The Chi will last you longer.
Other option are out there too. Aquen has a nice line out called Evolve or Penn Plax has a line called Radius (check Amazon).

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Draginii you're my hero!! No, I mean it!
I LOOOOVE the Radius, cheaper that the Chi considering I had to buy the lid and it doesnt have the filter in the middle of the tank or the plant spot at the bottom!
I'll just put one of my ugly but super efficient sponge filters and the heater.
One Q, do you know if there's a gap in the back for the airline tubbing to pass through? I would assume so given the fact that the filter needs to be plugged in but just in case :D

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Argh! Sorry for the 2xPost but I was going to complete checkout on Amazon and realized the tank is not sold BY Amazon so they don't offer the 2-day shipping. Estimated delivery is 26th-31st. I was hoping to setup before I left for my trip on the 28th.
I'm emailing the seller to see if they offer faster shipping. I can just give them my FedEx accoutn # have get Express shipping. I get 75% discount so I'm not concerned about high shipping.
I just want to set this up so it starts cycling while I'm away. I'm too impatient and this way it will reduce the time I will see an empty aquarium in my house.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ordered my Radius on the 13th and it arived today. I still haven't seen it, I took the day off work and it was shipped to my office. My buddy saw it and said it was nice. I hope so.
But.... let me say this... I don't plan on using the filter and light that is with it. I have a better light and a better filter for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts