Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - my veil tail betta Sherlock had gotten cut on something in his tank several months ago (suspected ornament which I have since removed) and it seemed to have healed after using BettaFix for a week. However, I went on vacation for several weeks and he was left in a smaller, unfiltered tank in the care of my family. When I got him back and put him in his normal tank I noticed the affected area where the original cut was had grown significantly larger and turned black and white. The original cut was less than a quarter of the size of what the area looks like now - it also appeared black. He is swimming/behaving/eating normally. I immediately administered more BettaFix to his tank and checked the water levels but it doesn't seem to be working this time around. Can anyone help in diagnosing the problem and a possible medication to put him on? See below for required forum info. Thank you so much!

Housing:
3.5 Gal Tank
Filtered
Heated - Maintained at 76 F
No aeration, no tank mates

Food:
Topfin Pro Series Betta Crumbles
Fed very small amounts 2-3 times per day (he liked to spit his food out)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? While I was on vacation, his water was changed once over the course of 2 months. I normally change every 1-2 weeks 20%
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
What is the source of your water? Tap Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip Out
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? No additives, Top Fin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: not tested (waiting for test kit)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): 75
Alkalinity (KH): not tested

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2/15/21
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Scales on his left side turned black and white
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No change recently. On 2/16 he was swimming a bit erratically but is not any more
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, BettaFix 3.5 T per day
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Since Sept 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi!
First thing, I'd suggest 25 to 50% water changes, with a substrate vacuum. Keep doing that for a while. I don't know if adding indian almond leaves or plain decaf rooibos tea would be of any additional help here or not.

You might want to increase his tank temperature a couple of degrees. Be sure that the new conditioned water is also the same temperature - a clean thermometer, dedicated for the tank, works well for this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would stop treating with the bettafix (this does more harm than good most times), and give a course of antibiotic. Kanaplex by Seachem is one of the strongest out there. It will fight most gram negative and some gram positive bacterial infections. Like Mbpoppy says, frequent water changes. And I would add Indian almond leaves or the roobios tea, as well. The only other thing that I can think of is Stressguard, another product by Seachem. It acts like a liquid bandage, and is an anti-septic.

As far as a conditioner, Prime by Seachem is the best. It actually stops the ammonia and nitrites from being toxic, and you can actually overdose (follow the instructions) if the ammonia levels and nitrite levels are high.

The API freshwater master test kit is the best, as it is more accurate than test strips.

I think that you can get him better, but it will take some time, effort, and attention. I hope this helps!

Good luck with your little guy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your advice! I got the Kanaplex and Stressguard and will be starting him on the antibiotic today. I figured it would be best to administer the Stressguard after finishing the dose of antibiotic so it doesn't prevent it from working? Again, thank you so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a dedicated digital thermometer for his tank and one of those sticker ones as a secondary in case the main one were to break/read incorrectly :)
Quick update: the ammonia test kit came early and I was able to test the water - it came out to .25 ppm. I tested the tap water as well and it looked in between 0 and .25 ppm (it's probably 0 but it didn't look quite as mustardy yellow as the chart). I did a 25% water change this morning before I received the kit. Should I do another water change? The only problem, is I had already administered the Kanaplex and Stress Guard after reading they were safe to use together. Kicking myself for not waiting a few hours and then I would've been able to avoid this issue - ah well. Would it hurt to wait a day to do another water change until before I do the second dose of Kanaplex so as to not mess with the dosage? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
We were thinking of trying to keep you from having to do a water change due to increasing ammonia, but if you don't have Prime, I'm not sure if other brands of water conditioners function the same as Prime regarding holding down the ammonia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We were thinking of trying to keep you from having to do a water change due to increasing ammonia, but if you don't have Prime, I'm not sure if other brands of water conditioners function the same as Prime regarding holding down the ammonia.
Right, I wonder if the API Ammo Lock would work? I could go to Petsmart and get that tonight otherwise I would have to wait for the Prime to ship to me :/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on Sherlock: I was able to get Prime at Petsmart to get the ammonia down. I administered the second round of Kanaplex today. Still no visible improvement but he doesn't seem to be in any distress. Here's a few photos from today and one from Saturday showing his other side.
Thank you so much again everyone for your help!!! It's so cool to know a community like this exists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello again! Update #3: After the third dosage of Kanaplex, Sherlock doesn’t seem to have improved. I’m still administering stress guard daily and did another water change today after finishing the round of Kanaplex. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a different medication/antibiotic I could try (Furan 2 maybe)? Or how long you have to wait before doing another round of Kanaplex? I’ll post photos later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts