Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i'm brand new to this forum.
My Betta fish, Dio injured himself on something in my tank awhile back, so he had a rip in his fin. But lately his fins seem to be becoming very thin and frayed near the tips. i am not sure if this is fin regrowth/growth, or if he has fin rot. i have been changing his water and treating his with aquarium salt.
Not really sure what to do, any help appreciated.
Heres a picture of his fins.: http://postimg.org/image/q5pmdjn9t/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just saw this while exploring the site. figured i would do it.
Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees f
Does your tank have a filter? yep
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily and one day of fasting per week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner to declorinate and detoxify heavy metals in my tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, i have not

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Frayed, thin looking fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not very much, eats well. seems to sit at the bottom of the tank more often, but still not much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him from the petstore around two weeks ago, but hes a pretty good size (idk if that means hes older or not)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
he is fin biting. Unfortunately there is no cure for fin biting because bettas do it for a million different reasons, even just because their fins are too heavy.

Based on your tank, I would recommend you get some more plants and/or hiding places. Bettas do not like open water, it can make them nervous. Nervousness is one of the causes of fin biting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You might consider a dimmer light, or keeping the light off except when you actually want to look at him or interact with him. I recently discovered that my bettas are much happier with the light from the room than with a light directly over their tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.