Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 4
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What temperature is your tank?78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?no

Food:
What food brand do you use?Northfin Betta Bits and Nutrafin Bastix Blood Worms (freese-dried)
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x a day 1 pellet maybe 1 worm

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1 a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH:7.2
Hardness (GH):?
Alkalinity (KH):?

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 month noticed bigger belly, 3 day of very lethargic behaviour
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Paler colour
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? very lethargic, barely moves, hides, sits on bottom or at the top
Is your Betta still eating? I have fasted him for 2 days (gave him a bit of pea to help in case of constipation)
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? approx 5 months

Have had my little fish for about 5 months and the last couple weeks he's started to loose his colour and I noticed his tummy getting big so I thought he was getting fat and really cut down on his feeding (I think we were over feeding - it's hard to tell because my 5 year old twins sometimes want to sneak in extra) Previously, I have had him fasted 1 day a week. 3 days a go he really started acting strangely laying on the bottom of the tanks and not moving when I came to see him. He's very pale and lethargic. I thought he was constipated so I feed him a pea yesterday. He doesn't seem to be getting better. Could it be Dropsy? He has no pineconing that I can tell and he still swims fine he's just wants to hide all day and his fins are so sad a droopy. He's tanks is 4 gallons and 78 degrees. I change his water 25% every week and the water parameters are all normal. I feel awful and I don't know what to do? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I have attached to photos one from the top and one from the profile. My poor little fish has barley moved in 3 days.
I don't know what to do?! Please, please help!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Have you noticed how his poop looks? If it's white and stringy it could be parasites. It's not dropsy yet as there is no pine coning.

I have a boy who is doing pretty much the same thing only he has parasites has started to pine cone and had a random bleed out from his gill earlier today

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My betta looked similar and I tried a lot of meds fearing dropsy...but some Prazipro has helped him greatly(not general cure actual Prazipro). It could be internal parasites...I was leaning away from that because my betta's poo looked normal. I don't think poo is a 100% indicator of internal parasites. If I'm wrong about that please someone correct me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure to check his poop. If it's brown and normal, then it's hes probably constipated. Try feeding him some frozen daphnia. (no freeze-dried foods)

If his poop is white and stringy, then he has an internal parasite. (may be why hes bloating/lethargic). Also check to see if he ever has a white looking substance hanging from its butt. It might be a parasite worm :x You can buy some PraziPro to treat the internal parasite, if thats the case.

Just make sure to watch his poop carefully and see if you notice anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't want to echo everyone, but yes, Prazipro is very helpful.

Also, this sounds odd, but crush up a clove of garlic, put his pellets in it, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and feed them to him. This is a trick that I have learned from others. It may take a few tries for him to get used to it, but it works. I have used this on many bettas and it has never had any adverse effects, and it has helped rid internal parasites. :)

Edit- also, in addition to the garlic food/prazipro, I would do partial water changes of 25% every day. Once a week water changes on a 4 gal isn't quite enough- in comparison, I am doing weekly 25% water changes on my cycled 10 gallon right now to keep it healthy. I would do 25% water changes every 2 or 3 days or so. Clean water is especially important when your fishy is sick. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.