Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have 4 betta fish that I keep in separate bowls. I have had these fish for about 2 years and have been doing the same thing every time I change their water.I put each fish in a small bowl to the side while I clean their original bowl and then add brand new spring water to it. I always do full water changes and I have never had a problem. Last night however, something went wrong with one of my fish. *The other three were fine--They were swimming happily and wanted food right away.*

Immediately after putting the "troubled" betta back into his original "clean" bowl, he started swimming sideways and then laying at the bottom of the bowl grasping for air. Every now and then he would get a bolt of energy and it looked as if he was fighting to stay afloat and would swim up to the top of the tank for air only to go right back down to the bottom of the bowl. I lowered the water level so that he wouldn't have to go too far up for air. It was agonizing watching him fight for his life. He made it through the night but still seems sick today. He will sometimes try to swim but swims in a weird manner, like he is shaking his backside wildly. I don't know how else to explain it.

I did so much research but still do not know exactly what is wrong. The water he was in prior to the change was dirty. I normally can go a few weeks between water changes but this time I went over a month. He was fine in his "dirty" bowl, it wasn't until I put him into the bowl with fresh spring water that he started acting weirdly. On a side note, I ALWAYS use spring water for water changes.

I have read a lot about swim bladder disease. I have also read that sometimes bettas can get hurt in the net when you do the transfer. I have also read up on temperature shock. I think I am ruling this one out however because there wasn't much of a difference in temperature between the two. I read so much stuff online last night that my head was spinning. I lost sleep over the ordeal and hate knowing that my fish is suffering because of something that I did. I am not sure what is wrong but I just want my little man to make it. I still have the water level low and have tried to keep him in a darker setting. I don't know what else to do for him. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did you acclimate him to the water? But yeah, it could be that he is simply ill because one of my past Bettas, Sonic, could not swim right the first 2 days I had him but soon was normal again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts