Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two male betta fish, Asher and Cloud, in a divided five gallon tank (filtered). A few days ago, I noticed that the very back portion of Cloud's top fin was suddenly very short and there was a section that seemed stiff. This morning, I noticed that at the base where the fin started there is a dark purple/black spot. What should I do?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons, divided
What temperature is your tank? 72 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other male betta on the opposite side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Three pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The back portion of the top fin disappeared suddenly, and the flesh at the base of the disappearing fin has turned a dark purple or black color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two days ago I noticed the missing fin, but didn't notice the black spot until this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, I don't know what the cause is.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 9 months and he wasn't quite done growing when I got him.

Pictures from when I first got him and just now.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on getting him into a quarantine tank as soon as I can go out to get one (which will be in the next hour). Going to put him in that with fresh water then do as close to a 100% water change as I can manage in the large tank so Asher doesn't get sick too. I'm going to dose both with aquarium salt (1 tsp/gal, correct?). I will look for the meds you recommended, thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not used salt before, and I've been reading up on but any info you can give me will help.

Edit: pet store doesn't have Fural, so API Triple Sulfa is what I'll be getting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should I use the triple sulfa and the salt? I noticed the triple sulfa has various sodium compounds in it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks!

It looks like Triple Sulfa is measured out for ten gallons per dose. I only have the 5 gallon aquarium that they share and the one gallon quarantine tank. I do have a five gallon bucket that I use when I'm doing water changes (gotta put that water somewhere...) Should I mix the water and meds in the bucket, or put cloud back in the 5 gal (!) and just dose that with half a packet?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a great idea about measuring for the little tank, thanks! I did the first dose this morning. It looks like the front of his dorsal fin has got it now, too... Asher looks fine, though, so that's good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Cloud's not doing so well. The dark spot isn't getting any larger and it doesn't look like any part of his fins are disappearing, but now he's not nearly as active as he used to be. Instead of swimming around and going after his food and coming up to check me out, he just sits there. He really only moves to go up for air or to switch between his log and the moss ball for a resting place. It's also taking him noticeably longer to eat his food.

I've been doing daily water changes of 25-50% and dosing with Triple Sulfa like LittleBlueFishlets recommended. Is there anything else I can do for my poor little guy?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are three pet stores in my area, two petsmarts and a rather sketchy pet supermarket. Petsmart should carry a Furan medication, so I should be able to get that tomorrow. I don't believe either store has either methylene blue or Kanaplex. The website you recommended for Kanaplex carries all three (at reasonable prices, too), but in order to receive the meds within 2 days, shipping is $25. Honestly, what are the chances Cloud will make it a.) long enough to be treated with the meds and b.) if he is treated?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neither petsmart carries Furan 2, so I went to Walmart. Got their last box of Jungle Fungus Clear. I'm dosing the same way as with the triple sulfa (dissolve in 200ml of water, measure out 20ml for the gallon). The instructions say to wait four days then do a 25% water change before dosing again. Since this is in a non-filtered, non-cycled hospital critter keeper, should I continue doing daily water changes as before? (Mixing the new water with the proper dosage from the 200ml I initially mixed and ambkeeping refrigerated.)

Thank you so much for all the help you've been giving me! Here's hoping the Fungus Clear does the trick...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So the little bit of white is still there. The black spot looks kind of... swollen. Now instead of hiding out in his log all day, Cloud's spending his time at the top of the water, which is even more unusual for him. Even when I startle him (I guess a giant face suddenly appearing and examining you can be kind of startling...), he rarely swims into his log; he just goes to the other side of his little tank.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alright, so I'm pretty sure the white is new fin growth. That's a good sign, but Cloud's behavior has gone downhill. He still just sits at the very top of the tank and doesn't move much, and when he does... It looks like staying upright is hard. He usually ends up sideways a few times before he just goes back to the top of the water. I've done both Triple Sulfa and Fungus Clear for the recommended time. Now what? The fin's looking better, but the black spot hasn't changed at all, and now he's swimming funny.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The first pic is him a few days ago. It shows the black spot quite well. The second and third pics are him today, and the third pic shows what I believe to be new fin growth.

I don't think he's bloated, and I haven't noticed any change in his appetite.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He's doing worse. I'm treating him with Melafix (melaleuca) now. The lady at the pet store suggested it so I figured it was worth a try. The black spot is now kind of puffy and I can see the rest of the fin is being attacked by whatever's gotten to poor Cloud. He doesn't seem able to swim and frequently floats sideways at the top. Occasionally he'll stick himself underneath a plant leaf and chill there. Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted this long. I don't think he'll survive much longer, though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cloud floats sideways at the top of his tank now. He doesn't eat unless I drop the food directly in front of his mouth (I suspect he can't swim well enough to find the food). The black spot is the same size, but looks awful. I don't think there's anything else I can do for him. He's slowly but surely getting worse, and I'm just worried that by trying to keep him alive I'm only prolonging his misery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts