Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So the little bit of white is still there. The black spot looks kind of... swollen. Now instead of hiding out in his log all day, Cloud's spending his time at the top of the water, which is even more unusual for him. Even when I startle him (I guess a giant face suddenly appearing and examining you can be kind of startling...), he rarely swims into his log; he just goes to the other side of his little tank.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alright, so I'm pretty sure the white is new fin growth. That's a good sign, but Cloud's behavior has gone downhill. He still just sits at the very top of the tank and doesn't move much, and when he does... It looks like staying upright is hard. He usually ends up sideways a few times before he just goes back to the top of the water. I've done both Triple Sulfa and Fungus Clear for the recommended time. Now what? The fin's looking better, but the black spot hasn't changed at all, and now he's swimming funny.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Can you post some new photos? I think it's been about a week since you posted pictures. They can be very helpful.

Most medications are metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Since he's been through a few treatments, his internal organs have had to work overtime for awhile now. This can also affect their buoyancy.... But since that infection was down into his body already, you didn't have much choice. It had to be treated with medications, and treated pretty aggressively.

Does he look bloated at all?

How is his appetite?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The first pic is him a few days ago. It shows the black spot quite well. The second and third pics are him today, and the third pic shows what I believe to be new fin growth.

I don't think he's bloated, and I haven't noticed any change in his appetite.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He's doing worse. I'm treating him with Melafix (melaleuca) now. The lady at the pet store suggested it so I figured it was worth a try. The black spot is now kind of puffy and I can see the rest of the fin is being attacked by whatever's gotten to poor Cloud. He doesn't seem able to swim and frequently floats sideways at the top. Occasionally he'll stick himself underneath a plant leaf and chill there. Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted this long. I don't think he'll survive much longer, though.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Between the triple sulfa and furan meds, you've treated for most of the common bacterial infections. Unfortunately, once the infection reaches the body, it can be difficult to treat. But, you're doing everything that you can.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cloud floats sideways at the top of his tank now. He doesn't eat unless I drop the food directly in front of his mouth (I suspect he can't swim well enough to find the food). The black spot is the same size, but looks awful. I don't think there's anything else I can do for him. He's slowly but surely getting worse, and I'm just worried that by trying to keep him alive I'm only prolonging his misery.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I am very sorry to hear of your distress, I have read through this entire thread with my fingers crossed.

If he is floating at this point and you have exhausted medicating options then I can either recommend you continue treatment to prevent other infections taking hold, or you can stop treatment and prepare him for a comfortable decline.
Lowering his water, giving him a plant to wedge himself into and keping the tank dark will keep him calm for the time being.
If you feel he is in pain there are options for euthenasia, though the choice is always yours. The most humane method I have heard of is to place them in the fridge or freezer for several minutes which will lower his temperature and put him gently to sleep, then clove oil in the water will end him peacefully.

I am very sorry to have to write this, it is never easy to see a beloved pet suffer and be unable to stop it. My heart goes out to you both

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.