Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a betta fish in our marine bio club at school who is sick. She was sick when we got her, and we thought it was dropsy at first so we treated with aquarium salt. We don't know much about what to do when a betta fish gets sick so we looked up different ways to treat dropsy and found that as one way. She's been like this for about a month now.

and we dont know what we should do. Please help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For more info, she is in a 20 gal tank by herself with a large sponge filter and a heater in there set at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. There are live plants in there (anarchis) and several hiding spots for her as well as some algae. We feed twice a day. Most of the time we feed a few frozen bloodworms at the end of the day and mini ciclid pellets at the start so she can snack on that throughout the day. We do water changes twice a week and around 50% the first time 25% percent the second time.

·
Registered
Bettas..a mix of em
116 Posts
For more info, she is in a 20 gal tank by herself with a large sponge filter and a heater in there set at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. There are live plants in there (anarchis) and several hiding spots for her as well as some algae.
Please copy and paste this but please do fill out and answer all questions on it. This will help evaluate your issue.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please copy and paste this but please do fill out and answer all questions on it. This will help evaluate your issue.

Housing:
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.
Housing:
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? She is currently in a 20 gallon tank by herself with a sponge filter and a heater set at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Food:
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? We feed her twice a day. Mini Ciclid pellets at the start of the day and around 5-7 small frozen bloodworms.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice a week. .
What percentage of water did you change? 50% first time 25% second time
What is the source of your water? RO water maker.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? We vacuum the substrate.
We dont use water additives.
Water Parameters:
We don't have a water test kit :(
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When we first got her.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes. She has gotten pale and bug eyed and has fins almost like they've been bitten.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? She is still friendly and tries to swim up to the glass to greet us. However she is swimming sideways and has a hardtime keeping herself from floating upwards.
Is your Betta still eating? She is still eating. She eats the bloodworms fast.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Aquarium salt by API.
We arent sure, as she was sick when we got her so we haven't seen her healthy.
About one and a half months ish.
She was sick when we got her. It looked like dropsy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Please fill out the top part too!

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see you filled it out, just in a different part lol

·
Registered
Chispita, a JRT mix puppy
42 Posts
I would like to point out that frozen bloodworms should be used as an occasional treat instead of her main diet. I'm not sure about the pellets, but it may be better if you got some pellets made for betta fish with no fillers. Also the RO water may not be suitable for her because it doesn't have enough minerals for her. Maybe some tap water and Prime water conditioner would be best for her. I really hope she gets better! :giggle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to point out that frozen bloodworms should be used as an occasional treat instead of her main diet. I'm not sure about the pellets, but it may be better if you got some pellets made for betta fish with no fillers. Also the RO water may not be suitable for her because it doesn't have enough minerals for her. Maybe some tap water and Prime water conditioner would be best for her. I really hope she gets better! :giggle:
Oh shoot I didn't know that heh. Thank you so much for your tips. I'm going to try adding some tap water plus ro. I will also try to see if our club can get betta food for her. We run on a certain budget for our clubs

·
Registered
Chispita, a JRT mix puppy
42 Posts
Oh shoot I didn't know that heh. Thank you so much for your tips. I'm going to try adding some tap water plus ro. I will also try to see if our club can get betta food for her. We run on a certain budget for our clubs
No problem! Just don't forget the water conditioner and you'll be all set. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts