Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed my betta's stomach looked a bit round and bloated, so I started looking up what it could be. I found that he could just be bloated but became worried when one site said that it could be dropsy because it is more noticeable when you look from the top of the water down at the fish and I think he might have a little bit of pineconing happening. I have attached some pictures and am hoping someone can help me figure out if this really is dropsy.

Some background info: I've had this betta for about 8 months, he normally lives in a 3 gallon tank with an airstone and I clean his tank every other week by removing 1/3-1/2 of the water with a gravel vacuum. About 2 weeks ago he came down with ick, only had a few spots, I did a 100% water change and treated with Tetra Lifeguard per instructions on the box. The ick cleared up in only a few days and he seemed fine, never acted strange and ate the entire time. Bloating was seen about 4 days after I finished the treatment, but my betta's behavior is still normal, he is not acting any differently than normal.

What I've done so far: When I noticed the bloating I looked up what to do and followed some instructions on treating for dropsy. Unfortunately I live in an area where I can not get medication for my fish quickly, but I have ordered Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn Oxy and it will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I moved my betta to a smaller 1 gallon tank (easier dosing and not as tall as his normal tank so easier access to air) with a gentle filter. I treated the water as normal as well as adding the correct dosage of bettafix (I know this isn't strong enough to treat dropsy but figured it was better than nothing until I got the stronger medication in). I have also added 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt. I forewent normal feeding of my betta this morning in case it is just bloating and instead soaked a single pellet in the bettafix for 1/2 an hour before giving it to him to eat. He is still acting completely normal if a little put out from being moved to the smaller tank for treatment. Some sites also recommended epsom salt baths, but I have opted not to do this because a lot of sources said this could harm the betta and I want to limit moving him from container to container.

I'm not sure if there is anything else I should be doing and also want to check if the medication I have ordered will work, the bottle says it works for dropsy but I was wondering if anyone has experience with it or if there is another product I should get instead?

Thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts