Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 4 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 2 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
219 Posts
In sorry to hear your kiddo isn't doing well.

Would you mind filling out this form please? It'll help us to narrow down what it is so we can give the best suggestions. Thank you!
(You can copy and paste and fill it in)

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In sorry to hear your kiddo isn't doing well.

Would you mind filling out this form please? It'll help us to narrow down what it is so we can give the best suggestions. Thank you!
(You can copy and paste and fill it in)

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
hello, i have filled this out in a different forum but didn’t get many responses so i created a new thread…hope that is okay just trying to get some suggestions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello, i have filled this out in a different forum but didn’t get many responses so i created a new thread…hope that is okay just trying to get some suggestions
HERE ARE THE WATER TEST NUMBERS;
PH level= 7.6
HIGH RANGE PH= 8.2
AMMONIA= 0.25-0.35 ppm
NITRITE= 0 ppm
NITRATE= 0-2.5 ppm
we used the API freshwater master test kit.
KH and GH are at 180 and 240 i believe so quite high

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was able to find your old post, but for future instances I would recommend doing it each time even if it's a separate post about the same issue. Just so it's easier for people :)

On another note!
Try water changes, 25% 1x daily and see if that helps. You could also try 1x daily epsom salt bath to help with bloating for a few days. If you have an Indian almond leaf on hand you could always put that into his tank aswell.
I've got a link Here that will show you how to do a salt bath. Do epsom and not aquarium!

Hope this helps and crossing my fingers for you two!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to find your old post, but for future instances I would recommend doing it each time even if it's a separate post about the same issue. Just so it's easier for people :)

On another note!
Try water changes, 25% 1x daily and see if that helps. You could also try 1x daily epsom salt bath to help with bloating for a few days. If you have an Indian almond leaf on hand you could always put that into his tank aswell.
I've got a link Here that will show you how to do a salt bath. Do epsom and not aquarium!

Hope this helps and crossing my fingers for you two!
update. he have gotten the ph to go down to about 6.5-7. we used ph down and ammo lock. we have a drift wood and almond leaf. he doesn’t seem to be much better and he is breathing heavy. i don’t know what else to do besides try to make him as comfortable as possible. just ordered epsom salt also. and sorry about that if i make a new thread i will include the numbers again. any other suggestions? thank you for your time

·
Registered
219 Posts
update. he have gotten the ph to go down to about 6.5-7. we used ph down and ammo lock. we have a drift wood and almond leaf. he doesn’t seem to be much better and he is breathing heavy. i don’t know what else to do besides try to make him as comfortable as possible. just ordered epsom salt also. and sorry about that if i make a new thread i will include the numbers again. any other suggestions? thank you for your time
I have heard of Kanaplex working for people. I myself have used it on a Dropsy case before and managed to pull mine through it but that's not everyone's luck. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just another idea!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard of Kanaplex working for people. I myself have used it on a Dropsy case before and managed to pull mine through it but that's not everyone's luck. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just another idea!
yeah we are going to use kanaplex again. so sad makes us feel like bad fish owners. thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
393 Posts
What are you feeding? Hopefully, it's not freeze-dried foods. Dropsy isn't a disease but symptoms of any number of ailments from constipation to organ failure. Is he eating and pooping? If it's bloat due to constipation, the epsom salt will help. But if it's organ failure, there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are you feeding? Hopefully, it's not freeze-dried foods. Dropsy isn't a disease but symptoms of any number of ailments from constipation to organ failure. Is he eating and pooping? If it's bloat due to constipation, the epsom salt will help. But if it's organ failure, there's not much you can do.
we are feeding him tetra bettamin small pellets. he has barely been eating for about two weeks now. here and there he grabs a pellet otherwise he doesn’t move from bottom. (yes i remove the pellet then) i have not noticed any poop for some time now, although i’m not exactly sure how to see him poop to be honest

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Please don’t use any more chemicals to adjust the ph. Bettas can handle a wide range of ph but I sudden fluctuation can be quite harmful.

I would do as @immal suggested and do an epsom salt dip. I use clean temperature matched water, dissolving 1 tbsp of Epsom salt per gallon. Put him in for no more than 15 mins. If he passes out or seems frantic take him out. You could also try giving him some frozen daphnia, it helps with constipation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please don’t use any more chemicals to adjust the ph. Bettas can handle a wide range of ph but I sudden fluctuation can be quite harmful.

I would do as @immal suggested and do an epsom salt dip. I use clean temperature matched water, dissolving 1 tbsp of Epsom salt per gallon. Put him in for no more than 15 mins. If he passes out or seems frantic take him out. You could also try giving him some frozen daphnia, it helps with constipation.
my gf used a tiny bit of seachems prime in the tank today and then gave him an epsom salt bath for about 11-12 min and he made it through well. have not tried the daphnia yet. how often should we do the epsom salt baths? thank you so much for your response

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
my gf used a tiny bit of seachems prime in the tank today and then gave him an epsom salt bath for about 11-12 min and he made it through well. have not tried the daphnia yet. how often should we do the epsom salt baths? thank you so much for your response
If he tolerates them well you can do them twice a day until he shows improvement. I wouldn't go past 5 days if it were my fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If he tolerates them well you can do them twice a day until he shows improvement. I wouldn't go past 5 days if it were my fish.
thank you, he’s tolerating it quite well and seems a little more active. 1 more question if you don’t mine…i have a 3 gallon tank and i can’t seem to get the water temp above 74 degrees and i would like it to be warmer. any advice on brands of heaters i can upgrade to that would work better?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found that these hitop heaters work well. Get the 25 watt adjustable. Any adjustable heater would work in a 3 gallon. That way you can set the temp and adjust it up or down as needed.
thank you so much! i just ordered that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts