Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I am not sure what is going on with my betta fish but I think it's on its early stages of droopsy (or dying, as some might say)...
I heard that there's a 1/50 chance that a betta will survive droopsy.
Anyway I'm assuming my betta fish is on its early stages of droopsy because it keeps sinking, purposefully darts in to gravel and rocks, scales look a little raised and also air keeps coming out of its gills (I'm not sure if that's a symptom).
My betta fish is in a heated, gently aerated tank about 3-5 gallons.
I feed my betta 2 pellets 5 a week and on the other day I don't feed it.
I honestly thought I was taking very good care of it.

Please help!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I suggest you use aquarium salt and start giving your fish salt baths :) if you et rid of It early you won't have the risk of losing your fish, I've experienced it with one of my Bettas b4 and if you keep the temp at a good temp, have good parameters, keep up with water changes (maybe do a bit more since of the disease), and start putting your fish into salt baths your fish will be healthy in. No time ;)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Use Epsom Salt, NOT AQ salt.

Don't bother with baths. They do not work since the fish is exposed to the benefits of the salt long enough.

Add 1 teaspoon per gallon of Epsom salt to your tank.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Sounds more like swim bladder issues, Dropsy doesn't normally make a fish sink. Can we get pictures? You can cup him and take overhead pictures so we can see if the scales are sticking out.

AQ salt will act as a retention (for future information as to why we want ES rather than AQ) and with Dropsy if the liver and kidney's fail, the fish get's a back up of fluid when the organs can not longer process the water passing through. So we want to draw out any liquid we can and so we use Epsom salt for that because it is a laxative known for reducing swelling in any animal including humans.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Oh hehe apparently I didn't see our fish has been exposed to the salt >___< I thought Epsom salt was for pop eye and SBD is it also good to treat with dropsy?

:p I just did salt baths and kept the tank healthy for my girl to heal up ( it was starting to take over but not to it's full potential)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes, Epsom Salt is for treating internal things along with swelling: pop-eye, SBD only if it is not from an infection, and for Dropsy. But you had written aquarium salt which is AQ salt, very different from Epsom Salt. That's all.

Salt baths are good for things like Columnaris and others but for cases of SBD without infection (birth defects) and Dropsy, you'll want to use it in the tank.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
No dropsy on your fishy ^_^

He is a Double Tail so he's more prone to having swim bladder issues because DT is actually a deformity so he could have a permanently squished swim bladder which causes him to sink, you can lower the water level so he can reach it again but if he's not having that much trouble, then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No dropsy on your fishy ^_^

He is a Double Tail so he's more prone to having swim bladder issues because DT is actually a deformity so he could have a permanently squished swim bladder which causes him to sink, you can lower the water level so he can reach it again but if he's not having that much trouble, then I wouldn't worry about it.
THANK YOU FOR THAT! :thankyou: :yourock:
By the way... It's a girl :lol:

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Are you sure? You kept referring to her as 'it' lol so I just took a guess and said he since it's more common, that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts