Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Back again in a first aid situation. My 19 month old betta has been hiding for about a week and when she comes in contact with something or when you gesture towards her, she bounces violently. She’s not flashing though. What could it be? If you would, please check out the pics.
8ED67241-2208-4FC8-9393-A8626D5398BE.jpeg
C93E3081-042C-4D3B-85C7-9AA675815F5F.jpeg
8ED67241-2208-4FC8-9393-A8626D5398BE.jpeg
C93E3081-042C-4D3B-85C7-9AA675815F5F.jpeg
Is that gold dust on her, she’s been yellowy of recent and does it look like pineconing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Russell, may I have some temporary reprieve. Ok, when i do shine a light on her, what do i look for? As for that incandescence, it appears on my other female crowntail. Mistook it for velvet but rather it was sbd. Here is a short vid, looks like she’s going through aquatic rigormortis.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Video didn't show.

With Dropsy, they quite literally look like a pine cone from above because their scales stick out so far. These are Internet images.
Dropsy3.jpg

Dropsy1.jpg

This is Velvet. It looks like fine grains of golden sand.

Velvet.jpg

Hope this helps you.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Please fill out this form for us. If your answers indicate it could be something else I'll move the thread to Diseases and Emergencies. Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gal
Now 3.5 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? Previously What kind? 5 neon tetra

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? Once a day How much? A little more than the size of her eyeball.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2 times
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Gravel vac
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime. API Stress Coat. Occasionally, Seachem Stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 7+
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Three weeks ago. Stopped for a week then started again last week.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes. She is pale and scraggly now. Not vibrant like before. She looks haggard like in the dropsy picture but without the pine coning
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes. Hides all the time. Doesn’t move
Is your Betta still eating? Yes Has a great appetite
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Isolated her. Using aquarium salt now.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Nope. None at all
How long have you owned your Betta? 16 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
How are the tetras? Do they all seem the same and alright? I wonder if something could have been passed from them to him. How long have they been roomies (before you separated them)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They’ve been roommates since March of 2019. No problems at all. She always has been healthy band energetic. My best fish as far as worries go.

Other than rushing for tje food and being overweight, the tetra have been no problems as well. These tank mates have been my steady and consistent aquarium. This really worries me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our betta looks like she had been doing better. She’s active exploring the surroundings of her new 3.5 gallon sanctuary. That’s a vast improvement than she always being hidden in the corner behind the filter.

So, things are looking up but a problem that remains is that she still all of a sudden will bounce off violently off the tank walls or any other object that she comes in contact with. She’s not flashing at all nor is she rubbing against anything. It’s like this, she’s fine, calm and gently swimming around or resting, than out of nowhere, upon contact, she bounced off the glass or decorations. What could this be?

I don’t want to act hastily and treat her for a wrong diagnosis. I’ve been adding aquarium salt with her daily water changes. If anyone recognizes this behavior, please help. She never did this before

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may have hit the nail right kn the head. Never thought about that. Startled is the exact word for the way she has been acting. She was always very engaging and enthusiast but recently she has been reacting in a startled manner, sudden movements, noises, contact, etc.

I will keep an eye out for that. What causes this bin to happen to our betta friends? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
If you can get a closeup of each eye it would be fairly easy to tell.

Sometimes they can have an injury to one or both eyes; or an infection; Dragonscale Betta can have scales grow over their eyes. Basically, the same reason all fish can lose their sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes, about her eyes, I forgot to mention that a few nights ago , when she wasn’t looking too good, there was a growth over one of her yes. I thought it might be cataracts upon further examination, the growth was a white mucus like substance hanging over her eye

I’m looking right now and it does not appear to be three. Both of her eyes do not appear as swollen as before.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts