Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw little Felix at a pet store and he looked to be not as healthy as others. I brought him home to try to fix him up, but I’ve had no luck.

When I brought him home, it appears possible fin rot had already started. This was the beginning of Oct. I tried to just put him in a healthy environment with stable, heated, filtered water

By November, this is what he was looking like. I added aquarium salt and started a round of medicine. It actually started working and his color started returning. As soon as the meds stopped, the white spot QUICKLY spread.

This is him currently. We are trying another medicine which is why the water has a pink tint.You can see where his color started coming back from the last meds, but you can see where it also grew to after they stopped.

Tips?!? I’m a desperate momma just looking to save this little guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 79-80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Current only food he will touch: Tetra BettaMin Pellets. I’ve tried 3 pellets, flakes and freeze dried foods, but he will not touch anything else.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Tried
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day- 3-5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? He was ill from the start. I was cleaning about 25% twice per week.
What percentage of water did you change? 20%-40%
What is the source of your water? Reverse Osmosis Water with conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Aqueon Betta Conditioner. Recently tried aquarium salt and API Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Im out of test strips. More come Sunday.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When bought him in Oct.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Body turning white and fins stringy
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Active swimmer.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, aquarium salt, API Bettafix (only thing that helped color return so far), and now API Fin and Body Cure
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Since I got him I think.
How long have you owned your Betta? since Oct 7th
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi!
If I didn't know better, I think he's a crowntail which would mean his fins are supposed to look like that.

Reverse Osmosis Water with conditioner
If you can drink your tap water I personally would consider gradually begin to use that, with a water dechlorinator such as seachem prime, at 2 drops per gallon (I noticed there are some unhappy reviewers for the brand you're using). RO water needs to have minerals added back in for your betta to be in a healthy environment, with a remineralizing buffer.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,012 Posts
He's a marble Crown Tail. As Mbpoppy noted, his fins should look like that. I only mention this because several years ago a member posted here about severe fin rot in his new CT. Cup wasn't marked so he didn't know. As a marble I think your boy is simply changing colors.

Crown Tail:
Crowntail.JPG

Switch him to a more nutritious food. It may take a while but fish will not starve themselves. Sometimes, too, they don't recognize that the new offering is actually food. Good ones are Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum, Aqueon Color or Betta Formula (NOT their Betta Pro) and Omega Ones. IMO, pellets are better than flakes because flakes leave too much uneaten behind and make the environment messier.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was just coming to say I’d stop the meds I think it’s just colour change but it’s already been said haha. So I second that advice and would love to see pics of his transformation. I love when the dark blue ones marble it’s fascinating to me. I want to try to find one 😜

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are just natural to the fish’s color.

How many pellets do you feed your betta a day:
What brand are the pellets:
Do you feed your betta freeze dried or live or none:
What type of betta fish do you have:
Has your betta been laying on his side:
Is your betta lazy:
Do you have a zoo med leaf bed:
Do you have driftwood:
When do you feed your fish:
do you have any tank mates with your betta:
Where did you buy your betta:
What equipment do you have in your tank:
Do you often check your Bettas ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, Andy ph levels, if not you have to:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi!
If I didn't know better, I think he's a crowntail which would mean his fins are supposed to look like that.

If you can drink your tap water I personally would consider gradually begin to use that, with a water dechlorinator such as seachem prime, at 2 drops per gallon (I noticed there are some unhappy reviewers for the brand you're using). RO water needs to have minerals added back in for your betta to be in a healthy environment, with a remineralizing buffer.
We can’t drink our water here. 😩 We do have a RO system that adds minerals back in once it has been purified. Will that be enough?

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is nothing wrong with it, just use the fish food I recommended, this really works to make its color come back and look better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
He isn't losing colour per se it's changing, it's not uncommon for them to turn white or splotchy when they marble. I'm excited to see what he changes into!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Check out this thread for an amazing example of a marble transformation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out this thread for an amazing example of a marble transformation.
Wow!! That is quite the change!! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts