Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Ciel is a tail biter and I'm trying to get him stop. I thought I did already for a few days, but then I came home to a lot of new damage. I think it might be because I skipped a meal today. I had to be away from home the entire day because there was a really important conference, so I fed him at 7am and then for the rest of the day, he got nothing and he usually eats twice a day. I thought it wouldn't matter since other people skip some feeding days to help their betta's metabolisms, so I thought today is the day. But he obviously didn't like that...

Not only is there new bites, but two tiny tear-like holes in the middle of his tail if you can see it. They're right next to each other. They don't have a black or a red outline and he overall just doesn't look or act like he has fin rot. He acts healthy, eats with enthusiastic jumps and swims around a lot.
Could those two holes be there cause of how he chomped on this tail? Because they're right behind the new big chunk.

But not only new bites and those holes appeared, I also noticed that his curling is sort of getting worse. He has had some fin curling ever since I bought him so I thought it's genetics, but looking back at photos, I noticed it has gradually been adding up. I guess one just doesn't notice if it slowly happens every day :(

His ventral fins are bent in a strange way, each one differently as on the picture.

Some additional info:
He's been getting Seachem stress guard daily for 22 days now.
Weekly 25% water changes with conditioner.
His tank is 20L size, 13L water filled.
Filter runs 24/7, but it has regulation and it's set to a gentle flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another piece of information I figured out later: In the morning today, I noticed the plants in front of the filter weren't moving even the tiniest bit they still usually do in the gentle flow. I thought it's broken because I tried to up the flow and still nothing. I unplugged it, took it it out, cleaned the sponge, put it back and turned it on just fine. Now, the thing is, the power went out in my house for a short while in the evening, but I saw the heater light get back on so it didn't occur to me to check the entire tank. I think it wasn't able to kick through again before the sponge got cleaned (my cleaning day would be tomorrow).
This all means his filter was off for the entire night, the day and another night. Could that have something to do with it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts