Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend discovered a tiny pin hole in his betta's fin.
And yes, we know that he seems to be biting his tail, but we aren't worried about it too much. He only does it to trim so we could swim easier, his fins are very heavy, hardly even transparent at all so from what we've read and gathered and from what other members say, unless fin rot starts developing, it's quite natural as long as he doesn't bite any further and helps him swim.

I have found a similar picture of the tiny hole and in that case, people said it is overflaring.
That would make sense in this little fool's case since he flares at anything, so often. Right now, he has a plastic tank and it is just super hard to eliminate reflections, they're just all over the place and very inconsistent (it's visible on this picture too). That -and bigger room for him- is why we are upgrading to a better glass tank, hoping to have the full set-up this weekend.
The water has been checked. The quality is fine.
The plant might look harsh, but it's super soft plastic and it's actually been even boiled to soften up the edges.

What should we do? Should we wait for the bigger tank and see if things are better?
Should we treat the wound to fin rot prevention medicine?
We will be thankful for any advices.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
How long has your boyfriend had this Betta? It can take several weeks for some to settle down and stop the flaring. Since he has plastic plants you could do a black out and/or cover part of his tank with a towel.

It's not fin rot. For future, fin rot is very, very rare. It is 99% environmental so unless the water quality is poor there's little chance fin problems stem from fin rot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For five weeks now. He always seems really agitated and aware.
Should we turn off the light at least until he gets a new tank?

How long has your boyfriend had this Betta? It can take several weeks for some to settle down and stop the flaring. Since he has plastic plants you could do a black out and/or cover part of his tank with a towel.

It's not fin rot. For future, fin rot is very, very rare. It is 99% environmental so unless the water quality is poor there's little chance fin problems stem from fin rot.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I would turn off the light or put something non-reflective on the glass like matte construction paper or even try taping a dark towel around three sides. It might help but it might not. I'll try to think of other things you can do and maybe other members have tricks they've used.

Oh, and you can also put his plants in front of the glass until he gets his new tank.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Random thing:

One of my bettas, Emperor, looks literally identical to the fish in that photo. So identical that if you put them in cups and switched them around I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. This is relevant because Emperor has that same notched tail shape. I think it might actually be natural.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aw really? Share some pictures if you can. :) twins
Random thing:

One of my bettas, Emperor, looks literally identical to the fish in that photo. So identical that if you put them in cups and them around I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. This is relevant because Emperor has that same notched tail shape. I think it might actually be natural.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts