Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Lionel in a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank for over a month now. I dosed him with aquarium salt for about 8 days(changing 100% of the water daily) and then thereafter, I changed 100% of the water every other day to every three days. He started showing some beautiful re-growth during that time! I kept him in SO long because my old tank was taking a while to cycle.

I was doing a planted fishless cycle in my 5 gallon tank with a filter and a led light 7 hours a day. No heater tho, I was using that for Lionel in his Q tank. To be honest, I may have jumped the gun with putting him in last night- It was taking SO long and all my levels(Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate) were consistently staying at 0ppm- with the exception of the Nitrite occasionally bumping to right around 5.0ppm.

I checked this morning and all that beautiful re-growth- The "Clear" part of his fins that were healing have now gone a bit shredded. Just on the ends- But I can see where this will go if I keep him in his new tank.

I need help!!! Should just put him back into his Quarantine tank and let his 5gal. tank cycle longer?

I have read so much about the cycling process and it STILL confuses me:/ Any helpful tips for cycling a planted fishless tank? I have been checking my levels regularly- and everyone says to be patient, but I just dont know If I am doing something wrong??
OH and also- his cycling tank kept getting a thick film at the top -and there were fruit flies that seemed to find their way to his water:-? Can this be prevented? I did change the water maybe 25% once or twice a week in that tank.

I just want to get him back into his home!

THANKS in advance for all the help!! :)

· Registered
1,212 Posts
What type of filter does this tank have? My suspicion is that the new shredding you saw may be tail biting. It could be caused by the stress of a new environment, or another common issue is bettas tailbiting because they are bothered by the filter in a tank. Also, how many plants are in the tank? If there enough you will end up with a "silent" cycle anyway. I really doubt your water parameters caused the shredding.

OH and also- his cycling tank kept getting a thick film at the top -and there were fruit flies that seemed to find their way to his water:???: Can this be prevented? I did change the water maybe 25% once or twice a week in that tank.
Both are normal. Film in a new tank will go away on its own eventually, it's a layer of protein and it's harmless. You can remove it with a paper towel if you don't like how it looks but it will come back until the tank establishes itself. Fruit flies are a yummy snack that will disappear quickly XD

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His tank has a Whisper filter-Medium. It is on the lowest setting. There are three plants total in his new tank.

Here is a picture I just took of his tail- Those pieces sticking out on the end use to be webbed last night- there was no separation there before. *sorry, I know its a tad blurry*

Attachments

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got home from work and this is what I found!! What is going On?? Please can I get some help with this?? Is this rot or biting? I have put so much time and love into this little guy- I just wanna make sure I am giving him the best care possible. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.