1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes? (its a bubbler that claims to be a filter)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Blood worms (its all he will eat)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily a small pinch in the AM and PM

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once every 5-7 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Quick Cure Ick and Parasite protection and Betta Safe water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No test kit.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail and doral fins look shredded. and now he has lost alot of color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he has started to act lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't because i dont know what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? less than three months.

I thought he was just nipping at first because there were some tares but they stopped growing and started healing but yesterday they look shredded and now he has lost alot of color along his head. He was totally normal a week ago but now i dont know.

I do regular water changes and 50 percent changes pretty often to keep him healthy and i havent had a problem before.

I'm also a poor college kid so price is a big issue. (i have epsom salts but i havent used them because i dont know if it will work.)
Any help in treatment ideas is ideal i dont like my baby being sick.
please help me

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
ES won't help with fin rot - can we get a picture? He may in fact be biting!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured they wouldn't. i have been doing full water changes every two days as of late and i have noticed that the fin rot or whatever seems to have stopped. I took out his under-gravel filter and did a really thorough cleaning on that (it had green slime on the inside of the tube) and I took the gravel out and sifted through that until the water was 100% clear to the eye. I also scrubbed the fake plant and the walls of the tank. I didn't use soap just really hot water. I noticed after the first time he seemed to move around a bit more and get more excited. i did that two days ago. I did the exact same thing today and he seems to be doing a bit better. at least his condition hasn't gotten any worse. as soon as i get some money i'm going to go to walmart and get a bit of aquarium salt.
i wish i could get a picture but he is too energetic now :p

PS i have noticed alot of fin-rot threads lately. i wonder whats up with that?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I believe under gravel filters are pretty useless... If you're down with the level of maintenance, I would chuck it, and just do manual ammonia removal...

If the rot has halted, I would skip on the AQ salt... it's really only good at knocking the bacteria out, not helping fin regrowth. If you really want to get something, API Stresscoat helps with regrowth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What we are currently using, and only thing we are using, with each water change.

I believe under gravel filters are pretty useless... If you're down with the level of maintenance, I would chuck it, and just do manual ammonia removal...

If the rot has halted, I would skip on the AQ salt... it's really only good at knocking the bacteria out, not helping fin regrowth. If you really want to get something, API Stresscoat helps with regrowth.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
his fin rot seems to be stoped completely. I will continue to to a 100% water change and keep cleaning out his tank every two days for the next week or so adding stress coat to promote healing and maybe keep him healthier. i will slowly space out the length of time between changes to go back to every 5 days like I was doing previously. :p
PS he survived the trip home with flying colors even though my dad drives terribly.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Seachems Prime might be worth getting to replace your current water conditioner. Prime actually turns any Ammonia and Nitrites into a less toxic form so may help there if there are any issues. And you can add that to the tank per drop gallon in between water changes.

I would say for your tank you need to do two 50% water changes a week. using a gravel siphon as that helps remove any waste in your gravel.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seachems Prime might be worth getting to replace your current water conditioner. Prime actually turns any Ammonia and Nitrites into a less toxic form so may help there if there are any issues. And you can add that to the tank per drop gallon in between water changes.

I would say for your tank you need to do two 50% water changes a week. using a gravel siphon as that helps remove any waste in your gravel.
+1.

Per Hallyx (who advised me), 1 drop Prime per gallon per day. 2 drops per gallon in new water with each water change. I put the Prime in a dropper bottle, so much easier! API test kit highly recommended.
100 percent water changes might be stressful for betta. That is why 50 percent twice as often could be better. I make sure new water is up to tank temp before adding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts