Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently redid my betta tank & added some new live plants, one being some water wisteria. I tried this plant once in the past with a different tank (planted in substrate) but it all ended up dying from the roots up. This time, it looked like the bottoms were mostly rotting when I took it out of the packaging so I decided to float it on top of the water until it looks healthy enough to plant. The leaves are now starting to brown and fall off. I read online that this plant is supposed to be extremely hardy and should not be dying this easily. What am I doing wrong?

Tank is 10 gallons, caribbsea super naturals sand, heated, aquaclear 20 filter. LED light and dosing 1-2x a week with Fluval flourish.

Posting photos of the tank, as well as the plants upon opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Because the leaves are so broad, I wonder if your Wisteria was grown partially out of the water (emersed), instead of completely underwater. It's really common for some aquarium plants, especially with online sellers. If that's the case then it will probably die back as it gets used to being in your tank, and then start growing again (with a more spindly leaf shape). Go ahead and cut off the rotted parts of the bottom, they're not helping anything by being there and if it survives then it'll sprout roots from elsewhere.

On the other hand, some plants just won't grow in some tanks. I can't get Anacharis to grow in my tank, it just rots away, while my other plants are doing fine.

I haven't tried Water Wisteria, though I looked into it, so hopefully someone has more specific advice!

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Are there any roots along the top of the stems? If there isn't try floating the plant until it grows some roots along the stem, then once that happens plant it in the substrate but leave some of the roots out in the water column. Near as I can tell my wisteria likes feeding from the water column, which is why I suggest leaving some of the roots exposed in the water column.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts