Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Pets: 5 dogs, 4 fish tanks, 2 frogs
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in a bit of a panicking frenzy Because gizmos not looking to hot… I came back from a week long trip he was fed every day besides Thursday and Tuesday which is normally what I do. But today I got back and he was u Underplanned heavy breathing. When he saw me he didn’t really react, so I jiggled his plant. Then gizmo freaked out and started erratically swimming up and down back-and-forth and like he was freaking out. He went to the bottom and started heavy breathing again, and I noticed some discolouration on his face. My mom doesn’t really notice any difference in him but I’m really concerned. Please help gizmo

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No
Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon omega1
Topfin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day 3 pellets or a tiny pinch of flakes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1 a week
What percentage of water did you change? 20
What is the source of your water? Culligan and tap or just culligan
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Discolouration on head
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Erratically Swimming
Is your Betta still eating? Haven’t tried to feed
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 4 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He just has slight cataracts in one eye but he still eats fine

Flower Plant Light Botany Petal
Flower Plant Vertebrate Nature Botany

He’s breathing very fast he looks like there is a mini dent in the side of his face

·
Registered
SIP Flash, you beautiful boy!!!
1,235 Posts
Hi,

So sorry Gizmo is not well! My first thought would be to do a big water change in case something got into the tank accidentally while you were away. When they put their heads and faces in the gravel like that, in my experience, it is sometimes something to do with the water. Even though the parameters are fine, there may be something there that is not right. If he acts better after a water change, that will tell you something.

Can't see much of the poor baby, but that's understandable.

This is what I would start with, and then watch for more symptoms.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

So sorry Gizmo is not well! My first thought would be to do a big water change in case something got into the tank accidentally while you were away. When they put their heads and faces in the gravel like that, in my experience, it is sometimes something to do with the water. Even though the parameters are fine, there may be something there that is not right. If he acts better after a water change, that will tell you something.

Can't see much of the poor baby, but that's understandable.

This is what I would start with, and then watch for more symptoms.
Terrible news, Gizmo died at 2:40pm ish. I don’t know what happened. I’m upset and confused but I guess now I can get a new fin friend. I will prob get one on Sunday. Any guess on what happened would make me very happy.I tested for velvet and his head had a gold shimmer or powder but I wasn’t sure if that was colouring or velvet

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I’m curious about your water source. When you say you use Culligan water I’m assuming your home has a water treatment device of some type? Do you know how it treats your water? Is it a water softener or reverse osmosis type of system? Or do you get deliveries of bottled water?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s very similar to bottled water. I have already gone over this with a moderator and we came up with a solution to use half tap half culligan. There’s no way of knowing the true originality, the only thing I know is that all the pet stores use it. This isn’t normal tap water and we get it from a shop in town.
I hope this help cure your curiousness sparky;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It’s very similar to bottled water. I have already gone over this with a moderator and we came up with a solution to use half tap half culligan. There’s no way of knowing the true originality, the only thing I know is that all the pet stores use it. This isn’t normal tap water and we get it from a shop in town.
I hope this help cure your curiousness sparky;)
That’s great. I was just trying to think of all of the possibilities. It’s so hard not knowing.

·
Registered
SIP Flash, you beautiful boy!!!
1,235 Posts
So sorry about your betta!!! SIP, Gizmo! :cry:

Since you had Gizmo for 4 months, and he was healthy up until the time that you left for a week, I really think that something happened while you were gone. Velvet happens when a fish is stressed, and is usually the product of poor water quality, and it does not kill that fast.

I would clean everything thoroughly before introducing a new fish. I would also suggest that since poor Gizmo is gone, that you add more live plants to the tank for your new fish baby. They will help a lot with water quality, provide oxygen, and help with overall general health of your new fish.

Again, so sorry for your loss!!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So sorry about your betta!!! SIP, Gizmo! :cry:

Since you had Gizmo for 4 months, and he was healthy up until the time that you left for a week, I really think that something happened while you were gone. Velvet happens when a fish is stressed, and is usually the product of poor water quality, and it does not kill that fast.

I would clean everything thoroughly before introducing a new fish. I would also suggest that since poor Gizmo is gone, that you add more live plants to the tank for your new fish baby. They will help a lot with water quality, provide oxygen, and help with overall general health of your new fish.

Again, so sorry for your loss!!!!
Okay thank you <3

·
Registered
278 Posts
Culligan actually offers a wide variety of options from filters, water softeners, RO systems, bottled water deliveries, and more. We had a representative out when we were considering replacing our water softener.
yes but OP said they buy it from a shop in town - so they have bottled water from Culligan. That would be RO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts