Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what to do. My fish has been sick lately, very lethargic and not wanting to eat. I got him some aquarium salt and I bought some stress coat today but when I got home from work he was standing straight up as close to the top of the tank as he can get. I don't know what to do. He will sink to the bottom like that as well. Head pointed toward the top of the tank. He has enough strength to propel himself up when he takes a breath and I have him resting on a leaf close to the surface of the water now. But I don't know what to do to make him better. I don't want him to die please help.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Is he floating near or completely vertical?

Start him on 1 tsp/gal epsom salt with 100% daily water changes. (No scents or colors in the salt and dissolve before adding to the tank)

As far as temperature goes, what is he usually kept at? 78-80 is the best range, and if he's not already there, bring him up slowly over the course of a few days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply but unfortunately my baby died last night. After examing him closer I think he had velvet. I've never had a breakout of the disease before and it is so similar to ich in it's first stages I didn't realize what is was until it was too late to save him. I just hope the second fish I purchased from the same store doesn't have it. So far she looks okay and isn't showing any signs of the disease. I wish we had a breeder out here where I live because all the fish I purchase from my local pet store seem to die of diseases I've never heard of shortly after I get them.
Rest in Peace Baby Voltaire :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been changing her water everyday and giving her hour long baths in paraguard. It seems to be helping. I just wish I knew what I know now. I miss my boy, he was such a good fish. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts