Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey i'm a new betta owner and I got my betta Roy 5 days ago and today I noticed that little bits of his fin were missing. Not sure whether it was ripped or he nipped at it but I did a water 50% water change 2 days ago because white algae was growing on the driftwood and yesterday I added charcoal to the filter. do you think that could have stressed him out? He's in a 3 gallon tank with a java fern and small gravel. His fins were fine the day before when i made him flare for photos. What can I do to make his fin heal quickly? :cry:

First 2 photos are from the day before and last 2 are from just now.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey i'm a new betta owner and I got my betta Roy 5 days ago and today I noticed that little bits of his fin were missing. Not sure whether it was ripped or he nipped at it but I did a water 50% water change 2 days ago because white algae was growing on the driftwood and yesterday I added charcoal to the filter. do you think that could have stressed him out? He's in a 3 gallon tank with a java moss and smooth stones. His fins were fine the day before when i made him flare for photos. What can I do to make his fin heal quickly? :cry:

First 2 photos are from the day before and last 2 are from just now.
It looks like fin biting to me. No one really knows what causes them to start doing it. Could be a multitude of factors really.

In regards to treating it, warm, clean water, keep a watchful eye for infections (fin rot) and add in some stress coat. Double the dosage of what you would normally put in for the size of the tank and be patient. It takes a while to heal fin damage depending on the severity.

It's frustrating when they nip so keep an eye on what you have changed/added so you can determine their "tick". I have a few that fin nip also so I understand how you may be feeling.

BTW he's gorgeous! Hope he stops nipping!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like fin biting to me. No one really knows what causes them to start doing it. Could be a multitude of factors really.

In regards to treating it, warm, clean water, keep a watchful eye for infections (fin rot) and add in some stress coat. Double the dosage of what you would normally put in for the size of the tank and be patient. It takes a while to heal fin damage depending on the severity.

It's frustrating when they nip so keep an eye on what you have changed/added so you can determine their "tick". I have a few that fin nip also so I understand how you may be feeling.

BTW he's gorgeous! Hope he stops nipping!
Thank you! It's sad that he's nipping on his beautiful fin :cry: . I found this product online it's called Acclimol from JBL . I think they sell this at the pet store here.

" Acclimatisation protection Reduces stress in the acclimatization of new fish. Strengthens resistance and prevents disease. Facilitates the care of fish. Aloe Vera protects mucous membranes against infections. Multivitamin complexes with vitamin C and inosite strengthen the immune system. Iodine deficiency symptoms prevented by an iodine complex."

Does this work like the stress coat you mentioned?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thank you! It's sad that he's nipping on his beautiful fin :cry: . I found this product online it's called Acclimol from JBL . I think they sell this at the pet store here.

" Acclimatisation protection Reduces stress in the acclimatization of new fish. Strengthens resistance and prevents disease. Facilitates the care of fish. Aloe Vera protects mucous membranes against infections. Multivitamin complexes with vitamin C and inosite strengthen the immune system. Iodine deficiency symptoms prevented by an iodine complex."

Does this work like the stress coat you mentioned?
I haven't hear of that brand/name... though according to the description it sounds very similar to API stress coat +... perhaps another member can speak in regards to that particular brand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts