Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've NEVER owned a betta before!

SO...... I went to Petco to get my first betta, and I saw this super cute doubletail cellophane(?) betta with red eyes so I took him home. His name is Eskeletito :) I will try to post a better picture of him after he is transferred.

I bought a 3 gallon tank today, and I have been floating(?) him in his little cup for a few hours. Temp in the big tank is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with some fake plants and gravel. He has blown a couple bubbles since I started floating him but I haven't transferred him yet

Anyways, I have had him 2 days and so far:
1. he doesn't respond to visual stimulus
2. he can't find any food I've dropped him
3. he bumps into the sides of his little cup over and over

So I went trolling around on this cool forum, and I think I have a blind albino betta. Oh snap! What do I do, can anyone give me some advice? My sister has been helping me, but she has never owned a blind or albino (possibly?) fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't tell you if he is blind or not, but maybe this link will help you if he is:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=120884

And here is a answer from somebody on the forum:
As the others said, move the decor as little as possible. A feeding ring, or feeding in the same spot every feeding will help. Drop the food about 1/2 to 1 inch in front of his nose. At that distance, he should be able to "smell" it so he can find it. Too close, and he'll probably ignore it or won't realize it's there. When doing water changes, expect him to become confused. It's normal for the blind ones since they can't see what's going on, only feel. A tank mate for him would be ideal (shrimp, snail, catfish, etc.) so that you won't have to clean up the pellets he misses (and he will, trust me). If you have a filter in the tank, baffle it to reduce the current in the tank. That'll make it easier on him.

Edit:Oh, and I have some ghost shrimp.They are really good at cleaning pellets off the ground, you can probably fit 2-3 ghost shrimp in a 3 gallon.
Do you know how to transfer him?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I can't tell you if he is blind or not, but maybe this link will help you if he is:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=120884

And here is a answer from somebody on the forum:
As the others said, move the decor as little as possible. A feeding ring, or feeding in the same spot every feeding will help. Drop the food about 1/2 to 1 inch in front of his nose. At that distance, he should be able to "smell" it so he can find it. Too close, and he'll probably ignore it or won't realize it's there. When doing water changes, expect him to become confused. It's normal for the blind ones since they can't see what's going on, only feel. A tank mate for him would be ideal (shrimp, snail, catfish, etc.) so that you won't have to clean up the pellets he misses (and he will, trust me). If you have a filter in the tank, baffle it to reduce the current in the tank. That'll make it easier on him.

Edit:Oh, and I have some ghost shrimp.They are really good at cleaning pellets off the ground, you can probably fit 2-3 ghost shrimp in a 3 gallon.
Do you know how to transfer him?
+1 for excellent advice

Make extra extra certain that all your decor isn't sharp if he's going to run into it! The trick about running pantyhose over it to see if it snags will work, but you might want to opt for even smoother stuff with few bumps, as not to damage his scales.

Live plants and smooth rocks would be excellent. Live plants may seem expensive, but just get one or two at first and they'll get bigger. Java ferns will root new little plants from the spores under their leaves and you can plant those.

I have about a dozen teeny little java ferns planted in my 1.4 gallon aquarium from one small $4 plant I got. My fish is thrilled--he loves them. XD

A 3gal should be perfect for him, but I wouldn't go any bigger because of how much space he'll have to get to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Awesome thanks for the advice guys its super helpful!

Yes, my sister helped me transfer him already:)

I will get him a little friend and a filter now. I'm also going to switch him to smooth stones and try to keep some live plants alive haha

I also tried tapping on the tank and splashing the top of the water and I finally got his attention. I'm going to try to feed him a blood worm with some tweezers too

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
He is beautiful though. If he is blind, he is going to need extra care, as a PP said, sound is a great way to get him to find his food - they have an excellent sense of smell, so as long as you use some distinct sound every time you feed, and always feed in the same spot, he should be able to find it just fine.
Also, when you decorate his tank, he will eventually learn where everything is and will be able to navigate around. As long as you don't change anything or rearrange his decorations, he will be fine.
As far as being albino, there generally isn't anything different you need to do for that.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I had a blind red eyed betta pop up in my most recent spawn. I fed him smelly food like blood worms. Keep him in a small, bare bottomed tank ideally because he picks his food off the ground and a big tank with subrates will make it harder for him to find it.

Also no tankmates, not even snails. Blindeys are slow eaters and anything that will eat food will take advantage of that fact

They need low light as well since their red eyes are sensitive

And youll need to clean up the unfound food each day. I usually over fed him so he had a bigger chance of finding it then suck out what he didnt eat after that.

Sometimes mine sulked and went off his food for a while so I found if I fasted him a few days in a row each week it kept him hungry and wanting more.

Your guy is beautiful :-D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys! Thanks so much for all the great advice! I was super busy with summer classes but I got an A yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh! I can't remember where the button to edit my post...

Anyway, here is Tito's update: He is doing great!

Thanks to everyone's advice, he is happy and healthy and most definitely completely blind. He has learned to get fed in the same spot, and will immediately swim to any splashing on top of the water, even if it's just being refilled.

I do have to say to trilobite though, that I gave him some snails....sorry! They kept his tank sooooo clean! He can't see them at all, and since I feed him in the same spot he easily finds his food before they do :) Oddly enough, the first two that I got spawned as soon as I put them in the tank, then died a week later. Finally, I got a giant mystery snail and that guy did really good for two weeks, but literally just died yesterday (after laying a ton of eggs, I'm beginning to see a pattern here). Tito has been super sad since his mystery snail died. He would follow the snail around when it was moving, and hang out next to it...weird huh?

I'm planning on getting some marimo balls now that the snails are dead...so sad! I am also thinking about starting a cycled tank since I like to garden in general, but we will see what happens haha :)

Thanks again for your replies, here is Tito as of today

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
This thread was helpful to me as well as I have 2 nearly blind fish that are progressively getting worse, one has scales growing over his eyes and one I'm not sure why he's going blind - just is I suppose. So, thanks for letting me borrow some advice :)

PS - Jekeller, Tito is so awesome looking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts