Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm somewhat new to caring for a betta. I had one years ago and it lived for about 5 months (I didn't know much about betta care). I bought another about a month ago and within two days it developed columnaris so I took it back to the pet store and traded it out for another one. And now I have Kalamari, he's been living for a little over a month, but I've noticed his tail is starting to curl and turn white, translucent at the ends. My water parameters are good according to test strips, everything is within the right ranges. I'm working on getting the master kit that uses water test instead of strips. I recently moved him to a 10 gallon tank, which was suggested by the pet store. I was already getting him one for his one month birthday anyway. Before he was in a 3 gallon tank, both were filtered and heated. I will post pictures of him and the new tank, which I moved him into last night after running for 3 days and checking the water. PLEASE HELP!! I want him to live a long healthy life!! P.S- The 10 gallon tank is filtered and maintaining a temperature of 80 degrees. I'm not sure if it cycled within the 3 days I let it sit fishless, I tested the water before adding him and everything was in good ranges (again according to test strips).

Please help me!! He is currently active and being fed a combo diet of bloodworms 1-2 times a week (half a bloodworm) and pellets the other days (1-2 pellets/day). One day of fasting on Sunday. The filter is a homemade moving gravel filter, this is my first time trying it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
When the ends of the fins turn white, that means new fins are growing. Unless it starts to trun black or reed or you see actual fins coming off, I wouldn't be worried. I would just keep the water sparkling clean and conditioned! Don't worry, he'll be fine!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just really worried because he keeps getting these pinholes and it looks like his upper fin is so raggedy, but thank you!! With a 10 gallon tank, how often do you think I should do water changes? Before in his 3 gallon, I was doing them once a week about 75%-85%.

·
Registered
212 Posts
lets see, I have my baby betta in a 4 gallon and my old 5 gallon I did once every week and a half so I think since you have a good filter do a 25% once a week, a 50% once every 2 weeks, and a 100% once every 6 weeks (Month ans a half) hope this helps! (Its kinda complicated) btw, do you know how old your betta is? he looks young

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! I can write out a schedule for that, does seem complicated :D. But I actually have no idea how old he is I've only had him for a month. They said he was pretty new to the stock, so I'm guessing no more than a couple months. I don't know much about how to age them *___*

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im guessing hes around the 10 month old age. just a guess. hes very pretty!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will go with that, you probably know a great deal more than I do about bettas, I'm somewhat new to this, but thank you! I will pass along the compliment :D, and thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
hahaha lol i have Mars who is my second betta. when my first one, Halo died i was devastated. thats when i discovered this site and now im obsessed, 0_o but now I know almost every disease and how to treat it! I also know alot about bettas anyway because i always do lots of research before I get anything. so thats how I know all this stuff

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I've Been Doing A Lot Of Research ToO, That's How I Knew About Fin Rot. But Even Today His Bottom Fin Is Starting To Turn Clear, Which Worries Me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts