Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my tank is about 76-82 for my betta and i was wondering when i do my 100% water changes i am going to put my betta in a little glass bowl but my well water is 60 so do i need to warm the water in the glass bowl befor while i am cleaning his tank??? so he wont get temp shocked?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you take the water out of your tank with your fish and keep him in that, that way it's the same temperature as what he came out of, you won't have to warm any water. Also, the water parameters are the same as what he just came out of, and that won't put him into shock either. The temperature will definitely shock him, then putting him back in the warm will shock him even more. It may kill him.
What size tank do you have? And do you have a filter or live plants. If your tank is big enough, or you have a filter or live plants, you will never need to do a 100% change.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
A good way to keep his temp stable is to put him in his bowl but then float that bowl in the bucket of dirty water. The larger the body of water the slower it loses heat.
Those with more than one fish have the bonus of floating their betta in the other fish's tank water but with one that's not an option
I can't really help you on the amount to change as I have unfiltered (so I DO have to do 100 percent changes).

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Whenever you transfer a fish from one water to another or whenever you add water, make sure the temperatures match.

Read all the stickies up there.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
just do 30% water changes?
Not unless you have live plants of a filter, which you don't. So scoop him out in his tank water, and keep him the your holding bowl with his water. It's ok, and preferred for you to keep him in his original water while changing his tank so that the temperature and parameters are the same. Then change the water in his tank, let the water warm back up, then acclimate him back into his tank just like you would when you first buy them. It's ok, and less of a shock to him if you put him back in the tank of new with a little of his old water that you were keeping him in while you were changing the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts