Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overnight (probably), some light spots appeared on Reggie's head. My first thoughts were ick, but it doesn't look like ick to me. They aren't salt-sized, they aren't even that white. The photos aren't too good at showing, but they're actually sort of flesh-colored? As if the black pigment has been missing. This is the first photo I took when I noticed.

There were three of them. And not even an hour later, there were only two of them or the third one changed place. Would this happen with ick?

The water levels are optimal. We checked the nitrates and also pH to be sure we can put some Methylene Blue drops in to be sure before we get any further advice.

We read on few things it could be, but how would the one spot just go away like that? Couldn't it just be dirt/some find of filth? And that one would brush off? He loves the plants' roots. He's new to the tank, so he still keeps exploring everything, head first.

We will be helpful for any kind of advice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not an expert but from looking at websites/googling I don't think it is. Perhaps he scratched his head on a decoration/cave etc? If it is just a scratch I would put some seachem stress guard in for a few days and see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kind of looks like missing scales. Doesn't look like ich to me, but keep an eye on it anyway.

By the way, don't put methylene blue in your tank. MB's anti-bacterial qualities will kill your cycle bacteria and cause ammonia spikes.

MB also only works at highly concentrated doses, so you're kind of wasting your time putting a few drops in a water volume that large anyhow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh alright. So do you think it is bruised?

Kind of looks like missing scales. Doesn't look like ich to me, but keep an eye on it anyway.

By the way, don't put methylene blue in your tank. MB's anti-bacterial qualities will kill your cycle bacteria and cause ammonia spikes.

MB also only works at highly concentrated doses, so you're kind of wasting your time putting a few drops in a water volume that large anyhow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, we already put a daily dose of Seachem Stress Guard in there. How soon do you think it could improve? Not exactly of course, but just to know what kind of time to keep an eye on.

I am not an expert but from looking at websites/googling I don't think it is. Perhaps he scratched his head on a decoration/cave etc? If it is just a scratch I would put some seachem stress guard in for a few days and see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing that comes to mind is the filter sponge which feels a little rough to the touch. If he gets any more scratches or something, we'll try taking it out and replace it with a softer one.

Looks like he scratched his head on something and tore the scales off... is there are sharp decor in the tank? Anything he could get stuck behind?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts

Methlyene Blue is an antidote and an antimethemoglobinemic not a antibacterial. Though, it does posses extremely low antibacterial properties, not enough to do damage.
Antimethemoglobinemic means it promotes the reduction of methemoglobin in the blood. When a wound occurs, hemoglobin is made into methemoglobin. Methemoglobin does not carry oxygen in the blood which can cause problems. MB keeps that from happening which means more oxygen is carried in the blood as it normally would and can heal the wound quicker.
"Methemoglobin occurs as the result of oxidative
damage to hemoglobin. Blood containing high
concentrations of methemoglobin is chocolate brown
in color and cannot transport oxygen efficiently.
Minor amounts of methemoglobin in the blood may
be reduced back to active hemoglobin by innate
enzyme systems. However, when exposure to a
significant amount of an oxidizing toxicant occurs
and the percentage of functioning hemoglobin in the
blood drops, oxygen transport can be disabled to the
point of hypoxia, suffocation, and death. "
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.aavpt.org/resource/resmgr/imported/methyleneBlue.pdf

I can't comment about the size of the dosage relation. I've used varying dosages and none have harmed but they have helped. But, if you are going to dose something, dose the entire amount. These dosages exist for a reason :)

Thank you, we already put a daily dose of Seachem Stress Guard in there. How soon do you think it could improve? Not exactly of course, but just to know what kind of time to keep an eye on.
StressGuard is great, it's slightly more on the holistic side but should help!

Don't worry too much about the bumped scales, it happens. Betta's are very curious fish and still stick their noses just about anywhere! Give it a few days and his scales will grow back without any help ^_^ Fish have amazing healing powers!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can't comment about the size of the dosage relation. I've used varying dosages and none have harmed but they have helped. But, if you are going to dose something, dose the entire amount. These dosages exist for a reason
I've been reading a lot of scientific articles about how/why MB is used, and one experiment showed that it reduced bacterial load in shipped fish the same as other anti-bacterial treatments, but again it would probably require pretty high doses to have that effect. I'll try to dig that up later.

As for dosages, according to the articles I've read, it would depend on what you're using it to treat. For nitrate poisoning it apparently requires very high dosages in humans and livestock to reverse the effects of methemoglobinemia. I'd assume that means it would take a proportionally high dose to reverse it in fish as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay! That calmed me down since I've been treating other boy, Ciel, to daily doses of MB drops. (1 drop per every 2L of water as the packaging says) along with some Stress Guard since he has chewed some of his tail. The last thing I'd want to do is harm him.

And hopefully the scales will grow back. I'm not even surprised, really. All he does is dig his nose into the sand and inbetween the gravel. The two bettas we've got are both just so extremely curious.
Thank you for the info!

Methemoglobin does not carry oxygen in the blood which can cause problems. MB keeps that from happening which means more oxygen is carried in the blood as it normally would and can heal the wound quicker.

Don't worry too much about the bumped scales, it happens. Betta's are very curious fish and still stick their noses just about anywhere! Give it a few days and his scales will grow back without any help ^_^ Fish have amazing healing powers!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello. I thought that not often enough, results are posted on forums that were meant to help. Which I know gets frustrating when you're searching for similair issues and don't actually get to know whether it helped the person and how it turned out.
So here we go. This is Reggie's head now.

After five days of daily doses of Seachem StressGuard, it has healed completely and you can't see any marks or spots. Now, I can't say it wouldn't have healed without it, but that's what we went for and he's healthy and beautiful. Nothing new appeared, so it was probably him digging around in the gravel and not a decoration, water issue or something else.
A little bonus picture of his beautiful flare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts